Hatching: Does the membrane look weird?

ka002

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2024
Australia
I am doing my first hatch and I have silkie eggs hatching as we speak now. (Well one has pipped)

It pipped about 8 hours ago (I’m confident to within 30 mins max) and is definitely moving/gulping etc.

My question is, does this membrane look normal?

I have been reading online and seen some photos that are completely clear and white. Kinda looks like it’s a bit bloody around the edge to me…however it’s open and he/she keeps pushing the beak through.

I would appreciate your advice!

Humidity is 66% 69% 68% and 72% on four hygrometers

Attachments

• IMG_3672.png
    IMG_3672.png
    2 MB · Views: 43
It's been 24 hours and the little baby has not zipped yet... he/she has made some progress on the hole, which was around 3/4 hours ago, pic attached.

He/she is still breathing and opening/closing the mouth. I've heard a few peeps and one that was followed by a little roll of the egg.

I have read differing accounts on when to worry... from 'after 24 hours they need assistance', to 'they can easily take up to 48 hours from pip to zip!'

If the chick is still opening and closing its mouth does that mean it is not ready to zip yet as it is still absorbing the yolk?

Any advice appreciated for this first timer! Sorry if I am being paranoid or over asking questions! Just want a bit of peace of mind LOL

PS: The egg is at an angle with the pointy end slanted towards the back left corner, it's not a side on shot. And the beak also appears to be bottom side up if that makes any difference (I think that's good? lol)

Attachments

• IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 9
It's been 24 hours and the little baby has not zipped yet... he/she has made some progress on the hole, which was around 3/4 hours ago, pic attached.

He/she is still breathing and opening/closing the mouth. I've heard a few peeps and one that was followed by a little roll of the egg.

I have read differing accounts on when to worry... from 'after 24 hours they need assistance', to 'they can easily take up to 48 hours from pip to zip!'

If the chick is still opening and closing its mouth does that mean it is not ready to zip yet as it is still absorbing the yolk?

Any advice appreciated for this first timer! Sorry if I am being paranoid or over asking questions! Just want a bit of peace of mind LOL

PS: The egg is at an angle with the pointy end slanted towards the back left corner, it's not a side on shot. And the beak also appears to be bottom side up if that makes any difference (I think that's good? lol)
Is the line on the left the air cell? If so the baby pipped the wrong end. It may still hatch on its own, but it may need help. I haven’t hatched many chickens so I’m not sure about your other questions.

Is the line on the left the air cell? If so the baby pipped the wrong end. It may still hatch on its own, but it may need help. I haven’t hatched many chickens so I’m not sure about your other questions.
All three eggs hatched successfully tonight! They’re all doing super well and seem strong and loud 😂

Back
Top Bottom