Hatching Eggs - Journal

Pics
Hopefully, that was the problem and the little one will now settle down.
Fingers crossed! In the box they came in, I didn’t notice any issues and they were much closer together than in the brooder. So I’m hoping its just overstimulation from all the changes or was too warm

But I’ll update when I get home from work on how it’s going!

Thankyou so much. Part of me regrets not opening the membrane but I truly don’t think it would have made a difference. I had to break apart the entire shell & membrane just to figure out where the head was. Which very well could have harmed it if it still was getting blood from the veins. The yolk sac was also about the size of a nickel. Is that normal? I’ve never seen one until now
Yeah, I’m not sure baby had a good chance either way..

Reminds me of a baby in my last hatch. I gave baby a safety hole after hearing an internal pip, and assisted when there was no more progress.. I opened up the entire air cell before realizing I was staring at a butt 😭 Baby had never internally pipped, they’d externally pipped on the small end!!! Covered the air cell with plastic wrap. Hatch time was a bit crazy with two holes in the shell..
Moral of the story: Check the entire egg before assisting 😂

For being the size of a nickel, I’d guess it was partially absorbed.

Good news! All the babies arrived okay!

I do have a question. Is this normal duckling behavior? The silver Appleyard baby runs up and pecks at everyone’s face and bill. None of the others are doing it and my other ducks never did that either
This is behavior I might expect from new ducklings being introduced, not ducklings that’ve been together for a while / since hatch. Hopefully that baby will stop soon.

Yeah, I’m not sure baby had a good chance either way..

Reminds me of a baby in my last hatch. I gave baby a safety hole after hearing an internal pip, and assisted when there was no more progress.. I opened up the entire air cell before realizing I was staring at a butt 😭 Baby had never internally pipped, they’d externally pipped on the small end!!! Covered the air cell with plastic wrap. Hatch time was a bit crazy with two holes in the shell..
Moral of the story: Check the entire egg before assisting 😂

For being the size of a nickel, I’d guess it was partially
Oh jeez 😭 these call babies are crazy!

Now that I know what the inside of the egg looks like with the duckling inside, I’m feeling a little more confident that I hopefully can identify what is where in the future if needed 🤣

Having never seen it before, I was so confused on exactly what I was looking at lol

I still feel pretty bummed, but I’m accepting that it was probably just meant to turn out how it did. Hoping this next round goes a little bit better with my new knowledge
This is behavior I might expect from new ducklings being introduced, not ducklings that’ve been together for a while / since hatch. Hopefully that baby will stop soon.
Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 I was a little surprised considering how notorious Appleyards are for being friendly. But that only goes so far and they’re babies… I’m sure being in a box in the mail doesn’t help anything either. I have a feeling it’s nothing serious but will definitely keep an eye on it

Just an update, the babies have settled down a ton! So that’s nice

Still some face pecking, but nothing crazy

& the call duck eggs are on the way

Attachments

• B3CE4131-1498-42D1-B9F6-7276D78D7A5C.jpeg
    B3CE4131-1498-42D1-B9F6-7276D78D7A5C.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0F61D988-F1A1-4E55-87B7-BFC626AE55EE.jpeg
    0F61D988-F1A1-4E55-87B7-BFC626AE55EE.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 95967DB6-709B-4D18-875A-1454147F2ADA.jpeg
    95967DB6-709B-4D18-875A-1454147F2ADA.jpeg