Have a problem!

LisaDianne

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2024
Pacific NW
Hello,
Im new here. I have 4 hens. Today I noticed 1 of my hens had alot of poop all over her bum, so i took her inside for a warm epsom salt bum bath- i cleaned off the poop but noticed her bum below her vent was swollen and soft squishy! She has been eating and behaving like normal, although no one has laid an egg in a week?? She is about 5 yrs old now, my husband does not not want a vet bill for a chicken! Not sure what to do??

Welcome to BYC.
Did you notice any white or yellow discharge? Do you see any maggots, or did you see any in the bath water? Did you notice an unpleasant smell?
How does her crop feel?
Do you feel her keel bone?
The squishy feeling may be because she is overweight or it may be waterbelly.
It may be that she is just molting and sometimes that can cause a bit of diarrhea. Keep a close eye on her to see if she is eating and drinking. She won't lay if she is molting. If your flock is loosing feathers you will need to up their protein for a couple of weeks to help them get through the unpleasant molt. Cooked eggs, tuna, sardines, and a good quality feed with between 18 & 20% protein will help.

Welcome. The emergency forum can help, but, we are not veterinarians. You can try treating for gleet by applying some monistat to the area. If this lessens the redness and swollenness, you will want to give her a pea size amount orally for about 5-days. Equally as important is getting into an agreement about veterinary services for our pets with our spouses. My flock is just like my dogs with respect to importance. They are very loved and part of my family.

Welcome. The emergency forum can help, but, we are not veterinarians. You can try treating for gleet by applying some monistat to the area. If this lessens the redness and swollenness, you will want to give her a pea size amount orally for about 5-days. Equally as important is getting into an agreement about veterinary services for our pets with our spouses. My flock is just like my dogs with respect to importance. They are very loved and part of my family.
Thank you so much. My Hen has a healthy bright comb, crop feels normal, her underbelly feels normal, the vent looks normal…but below her vent her bum is mostly bald with signs of new growth…it’s the size of a tangerine, soft squishy.. no pain reaction when i gently massaged it. Is it an egg possibly?? She hasn't laid for several days now.

Back
Top Bottom