Hawk or Flock Killing

GreenHaven

Songster
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I found one of my hens dead. She was mostly eaten, and some bones (leg bones) almost stripped clean. I thought hawk, at first, but this hen had just been reintegrated into the flock a couple days ago after being separated while brooding her chicks, so it’s a bit suspicious. I know a flock can turn on a hen, and that cannibalism occurs, but would a flock be able to pick a carcass clean? Their beaks are not designed to tear. So I was just wondering if anyone could provide clarity on that. I did not see the flock in the vicinity of the body - but I had been out of town and the death might have taken place the previous day. I found it mid morning. Thanks for any clarity on this.

I found one of my hens dead. She was mostly eaten, and some bones (leg bones) almost stripped clean. I thought hawk, at first, but this hen had just been reintegrated into the flock a couple days ago after being separated while brooding her chicks, so it’s a bit suspicious. I know a flock can turn on a hen, and that cannibalism occurs, but would a flock be able to pick a carcass clean? Their beaks are not designed to tear. So I was just wondering if anyone could provide clarity on that. I did not see the flock in the vicinity of the body - but I had been out of town and the death might have taken place the previous day. I found it mid morning. Thanks for any clarity on this.
I don’t know about what got her, but I definitely know chickens can pick a carcass clean.

As Sqawkers said, I just found out that chickens can be predatory, as I had 1 juvenile broiler killed and almost pecked clean, I interrupted them. And this was 3 hours, after letting them out, even.
I noticed some small sores, I thought mice were causing it, as they don't roost, and are slow, almost naked and a bit dumb.
I've never had issues in the past, but mice this year are bad. I'm using mint oil and cab fresh and it's helping. There's not much places to hide.
So it stumped me, being wounds are naked spots on thigh near butt, and round. I hadn't seen any actual pecking either and I associate with my flock regularly throughout the day. Well, I found out. And immediately removed the rest. Now the ones with sores are healing, and they aren't stressed anymore.

Back
Top Bottom