Hawk removal in Nevada?

PantherWaltz

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
One of my three chicks were taken by a hawk yesterday. From what I read, it's illegal to kill the hawk (and it's nature, so I wouldn't feel right killing it either way, it's just trying to survive.)

Is there anything I can do to prevent this kinda thing? We've never had an issue with predators before, first time dealing with this. Can I capture it and move it somewhere else?

Or call an agency or something?

(Edit: don't know if it's relevant, but my mom is part of a native American tribe, and the chickens are on her property)

Last edited:
1. Keep tough chicken breeds that can handle hawks (Sumatra, American Game, Asil, etc.)
2. Only keep camoflaged chickens
3. Have a lot of coverage they can duck under, ideally vegetation

It's illegal to kill hawks because they form an essential part of the ecosystem. However it's completely legal for your rooster to kick a hawk's ass

The chickens themselves are fine, it's only having chicks that seem to be the problem. We have plenty of vegetation in the back, it's like a forest, my favorite part of the house. The chick that got taken was the one who blended in the least, the others I have trouble spotting sometimes infact.

I think I might get a rooster, currently the only protection is us, and our dog as a scarecrow pretty much (he won't touch or bark at birds, but being around usually keeps things away.)

I saw a game changer of a contraption on Tic Toc the other day. A paint ball type gun, an automatic turret, that identified and tracked moving objects and critters, even humans. You can bet it will be thousands of dollars but eventually the market might be large enough to come down to a thousand bucks. You would need several of course, but it would be non lethal so there wouldn't likely be federal law broken trying to stop the depredation.

Back
Top Bottom