Heat exhaustion in late September almost killed April

azygous

Addict
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
We had a couple days of cool weather, and today went back to being 80F again. This may be significant to what happened.

I was working in the run when April, my two year-old Blue Australorp came inside the run from free ranging. She stood there still, then she appeared to be lowering herself to the sand to lie down and dirt bathe. But she was off balance, and her legs began to give up supporting her body. Then two hens came over and started to peck her on the comb. That's when I knew April was in big trouble.

I whipped her up into my arms and rushed with her into the garage. She was losing consciousness. She was very hot, comb and wattles a cherry red. I grabbed a bottle of Gatoraid, room temp, not chilled. I didn't want to shock her system. I have my first aid supplies all on a shelf over my work bench. So I easily found the tube feeding kit and inserted the tube down the esophagus of a semi-conscious chicken and filled her crop with Gatoraid. Then I wet a rag with cold tap water and turned her over and placed it on her conveniently bare breast.

She was limp, eyes closed, and I was hoping these measures were in time to save her. She began slowly to revive. Eyes opened, head became more steady, and her feet uncurled and relaxed. I stood her on her feet to get her upright so her circulation would be better. Gradually her strength came back and she was able to stand. Her color was better, eyes became bright again, and she began talking to me. I carried her back to the run and let her rest in the jail enclosure. Five minutes later, she was clamoring to be let out, and she made a beeline for the coop. She's now in a nest, appearing for all the world to be back to her normal self and laying an egg.

Wanted to post this because this time of year we can get some temperature extremes and chickens may not do well with it going from cool to hot again, especially during molt when they may not have a full compliment of feathers to regulate body temperature. April's feathers are in terrible condition, those she has left. Her new ones have barely begun to come in.

To sum up, watch your chickens on hot days following a cool spell. Have room temperature Gatoraid handy with a syringe and tubing if you know how to use them. (Time to learn, if you don't) Watch for sudden change in behavior - lethargy, poor balance, stumbling. Don't second guess yourself. If it appears abnormal for the chicken, especially if the comb feels very hot, get the chicken to a cool spot, not air conditioned, and get some fluids plus electrolytes into the chicken as quickly as you can manage. Then cool the chicken down with cool compresses under the wings and on the breast where blood vessels close to the surface can carry the cooling blood to the rest of the body. Do not plunge your patient into cold water. The sudden temperature shock will kill the chicken.

If I hadn't been right there when this happened, April may have died. But if you happen to see a chicken lying on the ground, unconscious but still breathing and it's a warm day, assume it's heat exhaustion and treat immediately.

What would you recommend in a chicken first aid kit?
Is dioralyte (no sugars or colours) better than Gatoraid or is the sugar helpful?

I wouldn't have a clue about how to insert a tube into a chicken's oesophagus. Where would I find out how to do that?

As you can see, your post has really started me thinking about being prepared for an emergency! I'd got as far as boxes with hay in, sunflower & pumpkin seeds - and a hot water bottle - for general malaise, but nothing for a real emergency.

What would you recommend in a chicken first aid kit?
Is dioralyte (no sugars or colours) better than Gatoraid or is the sugar helpful?

I wouldn't have a clue about how to insert a tube into a chicken's oesophagus. Where would I find out how to do that?

As you can see, your post has really started me thinking about being prepared for an emergency! I'd got as far as boxes with hay in, sunflower & pumpkin seeds - and a hot water bottle - for general malaise, but nothing for a real emergency.
There are several threads and articles on chicken first aid supplies. Worth a read.
In terms of your question - I use Gatorade - the sugar can be helpful and it is cheap and usually easy to find. Weirdly every chicken I have had has loved the taste of the red one. To me it smells like chemicals but they loved it so it helped encourage the poorly chicken to drink because they like the taste or smell or whatever!

You should see my chicken first aid shelf in my garage. It has more stuff than I have for my own first aid. You will start out with the basics and add to it over the years.

Gatoraid or Pedialyte with sugar is best. Sugar is important in reviving a chicken that is in shock or is weak from starvation. A lot of first responder procedures for humans are also valid for chickens. Raising glucose is the first step in stabilizing a chicken after an injury, during sickness, and during extreme heat and cold.

Yes, it's wise to obtain a tube feeding kit to have for emergencies. If you've lived long enough, you've probably discovered it's best to have supplies on hand rather than needing to go hunting and shopping at the same time you're dealing with a health crisis.

You can buy a tube feeding kit from most vets for a few dollars. To insert a tube, it's similar to inserting this syringe as this photo shows.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

I want to emphasize what azygous said as far as do Not plunge a bird into cold water if it shows signs of heat exhaustion/heat stroke. This seems like common sense after the fact, but during the heat of the moment I was only thinking how to quickly cool down a bird in trouble. One day this past late spring, temperatures hit low 90s after being in 70s the days before. I found a hen in a nest box that afternoon with exactly the symptoms azygous described. I recognized it was heat-related, and my immediate reaction was to carry her over to the chicken's drinking water and lay her down to cool off. The water was not cold, but shaded, so maybe about 15-20 degrees cooler than the air temperature. When I placed her into the water, she died instantly.😭 I was shocked. (RIP Blue Feet) It's sad enough when our favorites die, but so much worse when it is by our own hand, however well-intended our efforts may be. So again, please take note and heed Azygous's advice as far as how to treat heat exhaustion; which does Not include submersion in water.

Weirdly every chicken I have had has loved the taste of the red one. To me it smells like chemicals but they loved it so it helped encourage the poorly chicken to drink because they like the taste or smell or whatever!
I'm guessing they are attracted to the red color. I think the red fruit punch is by far the worst-tasting of all the flavors. So note to self, keep Red gatorade in the chicken medicine cabinet. I would never have thought to keep a Gatorade flavor on hand that I would personally never drink. Yuck.

There are several threads and articles on chicken first aid supplies. Worth a read.
Thank you, I must have missed seeing them, sorry. (I've have cataract surgery and had distance lenses inserted, and then a wait of several weeks for things to settle before getting reading glasses. It's a bit like the world is all new as I'm spotting loads of things I missed before!)

Thank you, I must have missed seeing them, sorry. (I've have cataract surgery and had distance lenses inserted, and then a wait of several weeks for things to settle before getting reading glasses. It's a bit like the world is all new as I'm spotting loads of things I missed before!)
I am not sure I know how to copy a link to an article- I will try.
Nope. Can’t figure it out. But search for an article titled First Aid Kits for Chickens by @pipdzipdnreadytogo
It is an old one but good assuming you are in the US - not everything is named the same if you are in Europe

Back
Top Bottom