Heat lamp danger example.

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I recently acquired 2 chicks quite unexpectedly! They were a surprise gift from a neighbor friend. Problem is I don’t have any type of brooder setup! Here I was with two precious peeps in my hands and no broodys!
Quick thinking, a large milk crate, cardboard on the bottom, a glass refrigerator shelf on top to keep them from flying out, and a borrowed heat lamp from my good neighbor from his brooder collection. I don’t trust heat lamps but I had nothing else to use. I immediately ordered a Brinsea EcoGlow 600 Chick Brooder. It just arrived. 👍🏻
—Now let me show you what happened using the lamp. I had to shine it in the side of the crate. The thermometer showed it was warm enough outside the edge but the chicks would huddle up against the edge inside when they would get cold. See the photos?
2A507366-DA70-4E8B-9187-47D25610301D.jpeg
6366C087-4AB1-4F4E-A6F1-72644FBBFCE4.jpeg
Yup. It melted!

Here are photos you can see the Brooder I bought installed and a simple grow light positioned above that does not emit heat.
1BF7AC8B-5694-49DF-8314-2E208DB962F6.jpeg
C8EF9F37-F275-4FEE-AEA0-BB1DAD2400DA.jpeg

I feel sooo much better!
Now for my next dilemma…I’m gonna need a bigger boat!…. I mean a bigger brooder house! This worked fantastic as an emergency shelter for new chicks but they’re gonna grow!

Does this mean I have an incubator in my future? I never wanted one because mama hens were great. But….🤔

The standard livestock Heat lamps should always be at least 20” from any objects absolutely no exceptions. They state this on the warning label as well. Lower your brooder plate so it can touch their backs. Brooder plates heat through contact. I always set mine at an angle so in the back it is low enough for their backs to touch and 1-2” higher for the front legs.

What do you mean by too hot? That's how I raise all my birds that aren't with bloodiest and I don't have any issues with the lamps

They can be too hot if they are not used properly. Like any tool they need to be used properly. If they are not used properly they can be dangerous.

The brooder needs to be big enough so one area is warm enough and you have another area the chicks can get to that is cool enough. Distance away from what they are heating is important. You need to use an appropriately sized bulb, maybe a 250 volt, 125 volt, or 75 volt. They need to be supported so they cannot fall. I think heat lamps are much better for brooding outside where the background temperature can vary. It is easy to set them up so they overheat inside, especially with tiny brooders.

To me any tool can be dangerous if you don't know how to use it.

The standard livestock Heat lamps should always be at least 20” from any objects absolutely no exceptions. They state this on the warning label as well. Lower your brooder plate so it can touch their backs. Brooder plates heat through contact. I always set mine at an angle so in the back it is low enough for their backs to touch and 1-2” higher for the front legs.
Thank you. Yes, I set that brooder inside and took the picture before dusting the height. I did indeed set it at a slant. They can lie down in the back and be in contact with the plate as well as stand up at the front being in contact. As for this being a too small brooder, absolutely! This has been my emergency setup. I’m preparing a larger one. Heck, I’m still in shock that I have babies without a mama! My very sweet neighbor is having a good chuckle over my panic attack. He would help me out with anything concerning my chickens. But he thinks this was funny. He never imagined that I, of all people, didn’t use incubators and brooders! 😂

Thank you. Yes, I set that brooder inside and took the picture before dusting the height. I did indeed set it at a slant. They can lie down in the back and be in contact with the plate as well as stand up at the front being in contact. As for this being a too small brooder, absolutely! This has been my emergency setup. I’m preparing a larger one. Heck, I’m still in shock that I have babies without a mama! My very sweet neighbor is having a good chuckle over my panic attack. He would help me out with anything concerning my chickens. But he thinks this was funny. He never imagined that I, of all people, didn’t use incubators and brooders! 😂
Girl you got this!
Don't overthink things.

...Does this mean I have an incubator in my future? I never wanted one because mama hens were great. But….🤔
Yes. But you can build one out of cardboard, plywood (that can be used for something else later) or many other things. I would rather have something they can see out of but it isn't essential. Window screens are an option.

If I remember right, I draped old bed sheets over cardboard once my 11 chicks outgrew a garment box laid on its side.

Creativity like this means you need to be more careful setting it up so there aren't cracks they can fit through or get stuck in. And, of course, be very careful any heat source cannot overheat the cardboard.

Thank you @Kiki !That means a lot coming from you!
I remember reading your asaga about your emergency incubator for the fertilized eggs you bought from a grocery store! You protested all the way having never wanted to go the incubator route. It came to my memory as I stood there with chicks in
My hand, protesting and panicking! I knew at that moment how you felt back then. When I read that story I was just a brand new chicken mama. 🥰🥰

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom