Heat lamp vs Heating Pad

Pics
I just moved from the Bay Area to Portland, Oregon, and I know it gets cold. It gets cold here, too, and my coop is freezing, like a cave. I hung two heat lamps away from the straw and away from the ceiling and they do a fair job. I made sure the cords were securely fastened to the ceiling and side so we wouldn't have any fires. I wouldn't use a heating pad since it could short out in the straw. I bought these other warmers that are very thin like a placemat and can hang from the walls and are made specifically for chicken coops but they didn't give off any heat at all so I removed them. I forget the name, maybe Cozy, but not sure.

I agree with not using a heat lamp. We live in Montana. Last winter it got down to -28 air temperature. I put a heat lamp in our barn over the roosts. Because our barn is so big, it really didn’t affect the overall temperature. And, the one chicken that huddled under it singed her back feathers off... That’s the last time I was tempted to use a heat lamp.

We have Muscovy ducks, and the severe cold is hard on them. I make sure their area is dry, and line it with bales of straw to insulate. But, I’ll never use a heat lamp!

With winter coming, this weekend we dusted off the heat lamp and checked the wiring to make sure it was ready to go when chilly nights arrive here in the Bay Area of California. Now I know it cannot possibly compare to the 'real' winter many chicken lovers on this forum have, that being said, what with Chelsy deciding to go into full molting she is gonna get chilly in the house with her bff without some heat source. Every winter I worry about the safety re the combination of straw and heat lamp even though the lamp is a good 4+ feet over the straw bedding I still get worried. Is a heating pad a better idea? and if so, what about the possibility of scratching and pecking at the pad? Or do you think the heat lamp is fine? I have two roosting bars so they can either get close to the lamp or scootch away from it.
With everything i have been reading, a heat lamp is not a good idea!! I removed mine yesterday. It’s too big a fire risk! I live in Victoria, B.C. We get below zero now and then, but from what i have read, that is not too cold for chickens. The article also said, that if your power goes out, and the temperature drops dramatically in the coop, the girls can die. I’m intrigued by the heating pad idea though!! I worry about my girls, all the time!! HaHa, over protective Chicken Mother!!! It will be interesting if anyone replies to your heating pad inquiry 🧐 Ill be watching!! Good Luck and Happy 🐓

The responses I've gotten re no heat source needed has me greatly puzzled, however I bow to your expertise. That being said, then would shavings be a 'warmer' nesting vs straw during the chilly nights?
Wood shavings are warmer. I use hay, its softer than straw, in the spring/summer/fall, but I’m going to mix in some wood shavings, and put them in the laying boxes. I’m pretty sure it will be a good combo! Finger crossed!!!

Sweeter Heater or K & H heating pads. Have used them both for years with No problems whatsoever. While some may argue supplemental heat is not necessary, we want our birds to be comfortable. With the Sweeter Heater, if they don't feel the need of extra heat, all they have to do is move a few inches away. They do not heat the air, only the bird.
Climate change has brought about radical temperature swings. In recent years we get 70 to 80 degree drops overnight. A few years back we actually had a near 100 degree change in just over 36 hours. Severe enough to kill mature trees. Can't be good for any living thing. Why put your flock through such stress when a few dollars worth of electricity will make their lives more humane and enjoyable?

I just moved from the Bay Area to Portland, Oregon, and I know it gets cold. It gets cold here, too, and my coop is freezing, like a cave. I hung two heat lamps away from the straw and away from the ceiling and they do a fair job. I made sure the cords were securely fastened to the ceiling and side so we wouldn't have any fires. I wouldn't use a heating pad since it could short out in the straw. I bought these other warmers that are very thin like a placemat and can hang from the walls and are made specifically for chicken coops but they didn't give off any heat at all so I removed them. I forget the name, maybe Cozy, but not sure.
You have joined a scant few members who agree the bay area gets cold enough for a heat source for our chickens. Thank you. And thanks for the feed back on the wall hanger mats, I wondered about those.

I agree with not using a heat lamp. We live in Montana. Last winter it got down to -28 air temperature. I put a heat lamp in our barn over the roosts. Because our barn is so big, it really didn’t affect the overall temperature. And, the one chicken that huddled under it singed her back feathers off... That’s the last time I was tempted to use a heat lamp.

We have Muscovy ducks, and the severe cold is hard on them. I make sure their area is dry, and line it with bales of straw to insulate. But, I’ll never use a heat lamp!
The straw bales are an excellent idea! Wish I had the room to do that.

With everything i have been reading, a heat lamp is not a good idea!! I removed mine yesterday. It’s too big a fire risk! I live in Victoria, B.C. We get below zero now and then, but from what i have read, that is not too cold for chickens. The article also said, that if your power goes out, and the temperature drops dramatically in the coop, the girls can die. I’m intrigued by the heating pad idea though!! I worry about my girls, all the time!! HaHa, over protective Chicken Mother!!! It will be interesting if anyone replies to your heating pad inquiry 🧐 Ill be watching!! Good Luck and Happy 🐓
I worry about my chicks as well and I don't consider myself overprotective at all and neither should you. It's our job to protect them and to study up and make the best decisions we can.

Wood shavings are warmer. I use hay, its softer than straw, in the spring/summer/fall, but I’m going to mix in some wood shavings, and put them in the laying boxes. I’m pretty sure it will be a good combo! Finger crossed!!!
Never thought about putting hay in there vs straw, hmmm. Besides being softer, do you think it's warmer? I like the idea about hay with shavings in their boxes.

Sweeter Heater or K & H heating pads. Have used them both for years with No problems whatsoever. While some may argue supplemental heat is not necessary, we want our birds to be comfortable. With the Sweeter Heater, if they don't feel the need of extra heat, all they have to do is move a few inches away. They do not heat the air, only the bird.
Climate change has brought about radical temperature swings. In recent years we get 70 to 80 degree drops overnight. A few years back we actually had a near 100 degree change in just over 36 hours. Severe enough to kill mature trees. Can't be good for any living thing. Why put your flock through such stress when a few dollars worth of electricity will make their lives more humane and enjoyable?
Wow, I can't wrap my head around those types of temperature drops in that time frame. But thanks for your thoughts about using a heat source during cold season.

Back
Top Bottom