Heat plate height

I'm a new chick mommy. I opted for a 10x10 plate over a heat lamp becuase I was terrified of setting a fire. I got 10 chicks and have lost 3 of them in the last 24 hours. I think maybe it was overheating but even at only being able to get the temperature up to 90 degrees when I've read it should be at least 95, I don't understand why I've lost 3. I had one side about an inch high and the front about an inch and a half high. They all went straight to the back and were quiet once they got settled. I had the plate in the corner thinking that would keep it the warmest but I'm wondering if that's where I messed up. I have since raised it a little but and moved it to the center of my brooder. I only have the low side against the side of the brooder. I really don't want to lose anymore babies. It is heartbreaking and I feel awful despite spending nearly a year learning everything I could about raising chickens. I thought I would be good at it but I'm worried that maybe I won't be.

I'm a new chick mommy. I opted for a 10x10 plate over a heat lamp becuase I was terrified of setting a fire. I got 10 chicks and have lost 3 of them in the last 24 hours. I think maybe it was overheating but even at only being able to get the temperature up to 90 degrees when I've read it should be at least 95, I don't understand why I've lost 3. I had one side about an inch high and the front about an inch and a half high. They all went straight to the back and were quiet once they got settled. I had the plate in the corner thinking that would keep it the warmest but I'm wondering if that's where I messed up. I have since raised it a little but and moved it to the center of my brooder. I only have the low side against the side of the brooder. I really don't want to lose anymore babies. It is heartbreaking and I feel awful despite spending nearly a year learning everything I could about raising chickens. I thought I would be good at it but I'm worried that maybe I won't be.

chicks sometimes die, so maybe there was an internal anomaly. However, 3 at once might mean another problem.

chicks should be able to touch their backs to theplate, but also be able to avoid the plate if they want (so, not too low). Yes, moving it away from the corners was a good thing, they need to be able to get past their chick-mates to get away from the heat and might not be able to do this if trapped in a corner.

if they are not drinking water enough or are too hot, they can get dehydrated. Sometimes it get too hard for them to poop, or the poop gets stuck on their vent and then plugs the vent where they cannot poop .. this can cause death. make sure they can easily access water, and they are all drinking. Always provide clean water without additives, even if you are providing electrolyte water too, must always offer plain water

they need to be eating, and need crumbles. Assuming they are eating.

Drafts. Make sure they are not in a draft. Block drafts with a cardboard shield if needed. Our main brooder has solid sides, and a wire top (it is large 3’x6’), but once we had baby quail in a similar setup, in our basement with ceiling vents. We had to prop a cardboard “air deflector” up vertically to block the vent airflow from blowing into the brooder. So assess drafts.

good luck. I hope none others pass away.

I had a problem with a new brooder plate I bought last year. It was too hot to have my hand in contact with the plate's underside, and meant to be able to be touched by the chick's backs.
I turned it upside down and measured it's temp. with a thermometer, in the center, and near the edges. 120F!!! Way too hot! My friend's smaller plate, same brand, got to 87F in the center, and was fine. I then bought a temperature adjuster control 'thingie', also sold at Premier1supplies, and it's fine now.
I'd recommend checking your plate out; is it too hot? When it works, it's a wonderful alternative to heat lamps.
Mary

chicks sometimes die, so maybe there was an internal anomaly. However, 3 at once might mean another problem.

chicks should be able to touch their backs to theplate, but also be able to avoid the plate if they want (so, not too low). Yes, moving it away from the corners was a good thing, they need to be able to get past their chick-mates to get away from the heat and might not be able to do this if trapped in a corner.

if they are not drinking water enough or are too hot, they can get dehydrated. Sometimes it get too hard for them to poop, or the poop gets stuck on their vent and then plugs the vent where they cannot poop .. this can cause death. make sure they can easily access water, and they are all drinking. Always provide clean water without additives, even if you are providing electrolyte water too, must always offer plain water

they need to be eating, and need crumbles. Assuming they are eating.

Drafts. Make sure they are not in a draft. Block drafts with a cardboard shield if needed. Our main brooder has solid sides, and a wire top (it is large 3’x6’), but once we had baby quail in a similar setup, in our basement with ceiling vents. We had to prop a cardboard “air deflector” up vertically to block the vent airflow from blowing into the brooder. So assess drafts.

good luck. I hope none others pass away.

Thank you so much for the information. I ended up switching to a heat lamp which scares the hell out of me but they seem to be doing better. I lost a 4th one too and thought I was going to lose a 5th one but I learned I could give her some raw egg yolk and a little bit of sugar water and that perked her up. I wish I had known that before the other 4 died. There is definitely a learning curve to raising new babies.

Shipping stress is a real problem! The chicks can get chilled, especially in winter, and look okay at delivery, and then die anyway. In hot weather they can overheat.
The chicks should be able to get out from under the plate on all sides, so don't set it up in a corner either. Having it sloped is best, so they can pick their spot.
'Pasty butt' happens when they are overheated; check everyone's rear end daily for a few days, and pull poo stuck there if it happens.
It's hard to loose any of them!
All the best,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom