Hatching2024

Chirping
Feb 22, 2024
Hello all!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Excited to be here! My name is Kimberly, and I am new to backyard chickens (and ducks)! I have not gotten the little guys as of yet, but I am picking up some chicks (and ducklings) March 1st. We are currently purchasing brooding supplies, and working to set that up first. Then we plan to get 3-5 of each, ducklings and chicks. We are also building their coops, which seems to be a better option than buying.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I pretty open to the different breed types. As a newbie I am unfamiliar with all the different characteristics of each breed, so i am open to advice. Some of the breeds that have peaked my interest from my own research include Jersey Giant, Mystic Onyx, Bantam,and Pearl Guineas for the chickens, and White Perkin, Rouen, Cayugan, Indian Runner, and Ancona for the ducks. Characteristics that I tried to look for included being good layers, calm/friendly temperments, forgers and heat tolerant (I live in South Florida).

4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Since I have not yet gotten the chickens and ducks, I dont have a "favorite" part of it. I know it is a large commitment, and that I must be dedicated to this. I also know that the biggest commitments are often the most rewarding. I am very much looking forward to interacting with the chickens and ducks, learning from them, and of course the fresh eggs!

5) What are some of your other hobbies?
My other hobbies include arts and crafts, reading, researching controversial topics (in efforts to understand the topic better), music, and sharing my own knowledge with others. I have over the years grown some foods here and there, but over the last year I have been working on building and expanding my gardening hobby. I have recently added some fruit trees to my yard, and plan to start planting cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc come March1. I didnt want to start too early because, even though it is Florida, it can get too cold for the plants (especially at night).

6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My household predominately consist of myself, my cat, and several fishes. My partner stays with me most days of the week, but does not live with me ( I made it very clear I require a ring before I take that step). Nonetheless, he contributes to my home, and my furbabies, as if he's co-owner/parent. I am a radiology technologist, specializing in CT imaging, and attending school for physician assistant. He is in construction, and can build or fix anything (literally! If you're in South Florida and you need a handy man, I know a guy😉 !)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I am not 100% sure how I found BYC. I have been exploring and researching backyard poultry for over a year (I wanted to make sure I do it right!!). Between my own research, and links that other people have sent me, I kept coming across BYC. I'd say I have been aware of BYC for about 6 months. I decided to finally join because I decided to finally take the leap and get some ducks and chickens! Wish me luck! :)

Hi Kimberly! Nice to meet you. Welcome to BYC! When you get the chicks and ducks are you getting all females or a straight run? with straight run its unknown and you could end up with too many roosters and drakes, have a plan what you will do with them if that happens
Hi there! I am planning to get only female chickens ( I am not allowed to have roosters where I am), I am also planning mostly females for the ducks, but would be open to one male -as I know too many males could lead to aggressive behaviors (for both ducks and chicks). I also have 3 plans in place in the event that I have too many male ducks (or the unlikely case of a misgendered bird for either species).

Back
Top Bottom