Hello from Me.

To answer Michael OShay.
The three I just got are New Hampshire mixed. One looks like she definitely has some Rhode Island Red (Agnes) in her, and she's the first one to lay eggs, and I was told that the one with blue feet has some Easter-egger in her (Goldy, since her feathers are mostly a light golden color, where the other two are more red), I'm not so sure on "Little Red" as I have been calling her. I was told she is a mix, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea what.

On friday I am getting five or six five month old Barred Rock hens.

That sounds very nice NorthFLChick. I live in town, fortunately though the town I live in is very lax. There are lots of "laws" regarding farm animals in town, but the understood rule is that if they don't stink overmuch and your neighbors don't complain, then we won't say anything to you. My backyard has a total of 3,100 sqft, I thought it was waaaay less, but maybe that's because I grew up on 2 acres. My front yard has a total of 1700 square feet (about half of which is taken up by a large patch that alternates between clover and corn, the other half is being planted with apple trees this spring. My father used to work at an orchard and he told me he would teach me how to take care of them.

At the end of this month/beginning of next month I am getting to dairy goats, pregnant does due to kid in March/April. Here in Kansas it's fair warm by then. I have a lot I want to do between now and then. Things I want to build, tools I need to get. It's funny how when what seems like the worst thing that could have happened happened, I seem to be doing so much better off.

After my Husband left me and the boys in June, I spent about two months asking "what am I gonna do?" "how am I going to take care of my boys." and then I decided, whether or not I could really afford the investment, I would take a chance and reach for my dream. Modified sense we live in town, but as close as I can get while still in town until I can afford something more. I grew up a farm child, and I want to give that sense of responsibility and the pride in a job well done to my boys. Their father lacks that, his only reaction to a job he didn't really want to do being done is "Thank god that's over" and he doesn't even give it a second look. Not to say that he is a bad person, he was just never taught to be proud of his work.

I want my children to have fresh, wholesome food, to know where food comes from, and to have that warm feeling of pride in their chests when they look at something they did, whether they enjoyed doing it or not, and think. "I did this, and it is good."

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Enjoy all your adventures and we do welcome you to our flock!

RooksMom,

I see where you're in KS...that's where I lived for many years until moving to FL in 2010. I was in the northeast part of the state, between Topeka and Lawrence. Nice to meet a fellow Jayhawker!

Love your drive and desire to follow your dream. At the end of the day, you have to do what gives you satisfaction and contentment. And giving your boys the wonderful experience (hard work though it is sometimes) of growing up with the outdoors, animals and growing their own food will teach them things that will serve them well throughout their lives.

Glad to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom