Hello from NE Georgia!

Chicky63

Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
Hartwell, GA
So glad I found this site! Hubby came home 2 weeks ago with 6 baby chicks.

I've been reading and reading and reading about caring for them and getting some great idea's -thanks!

We've graduated to a Pack N Play for more room for them and love watching them. It also is getting them used to our 2 Golden Retrievers and for the Golden's to get used to them. I've given them some treats (scrambled eggs) they love them and now every time I put my hand in, they come running to me - love it!

On our property there was a 8x8 coop and we're in the process of updating it as it was really weathered. We're also going to build a run with hardware cloth and put a metal roof on top. I'm wondering do you put anything down on the ground for them? I was watching a you tube video and the women put something down, of course I can't find the video to watch again.

What kind of maintenance, if any for the run. I know we need to build a roost for them and I've seen some with swings.

Any advise, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

95C50532-90A2-4ED8-80DF-2A13588AAB2C.jpeg

Welcome! Congrats on your little ones :jumpy. I have a walk in run with roof and hardware cloth as well for the times the chickens can’t or don’t care to go out. I have a swing, homemade. I also have thick branches at different levels. The run is sitting on dirt, every fall I put thick layer of dry leaves in. I’ve also used some pine shavings once. One area is the ‘communa Dirt bath’, just soil with some construction sand and peat moss and wood ash. The girls keep it scratched loose even in winter as long as I cover the hardware cloth with clear plastic to keep snow out. I also hang cabbage’ romaine, corn on a string on occasion so the have something to peck on

May have been sand ..they need grit anyways to chew..They don't have teeth and sand don't grow mold ..I'm building a 5 x8 with 6 nest boxes off the ground with a yard....looks like a barn.. I'll post when finished.

Back
Top Bottom