Hello from north of Indy

Bweis13

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Hi everybody! I live on a very small farm just north of Indy with two dogs, two horses, and 4 chickens. A neighborhood has grown up around our old farm, so we aren't isolated like many people with this kind of property. This is great for our kids, but not so great with broody hens who want to hatch their own eggs which could turn out to be roosters. (We have one cranky neighbor who complained about the one full size roo we had, so I ended up returning him to the friend who gave him to me. Apparently she can't hear the little bantam roo my girls hatched last summer since she hasn't complained.) At the moment we have two little bantam hens, a bantam rooster, and a one legged Barred Plymouth Rock that I bought from a farmer because she has quite a personality. We have had an Araucauna, an Easter egger, and a Buff Orpington which were hatched by our dear bantams, but an evil raccoon got them a couple of summers ago. It was heartbreaking. We have beefed up the security in the coop and cut down a couple of trees where the raccoons were living, but I have a feeling they're still in the neighborhood. We're hoping to add to our little flock this spring and actually get more regular sized eggs again. Isn't it nice to have your own fresh eggs and not have to buy them at the store? Our bantam hens have visited schools and been in charity petting zoos, and we're hoping to hand raise a few more really friendly hens from chicks. Wish us luck! :D

welcome-byc.gif

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Sorry about your birds. Those predators will cause huge trouble for poultry flocks. Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

Shame on that farmer for taking money for that one legged hen - he should have given her to you. A good home (for her) is much better than someone making a meal out of her. I'm glad you got her.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! We're looking out for the raccoons, we've made the coop doors stronger, and so far things seem pretty secure. Also, don't be too hard on the farmer who sold me the one legged chicken. He was selling her with a bunch of others for eating at a farmers' market. I just have a soft spot for underdogs, so I bought her, and she's the only full sized layer I have at the moment. I actually think she'd be quite a bully if she could move faster, so having one leg has probably kept her alive a lot longer than otherwise. Mean hens go to my brother's farm where they're free ranged, and they get taken out by predators a lot more quickly than mine do. If someone picks on my original bantam babies, they're outta here! :smack

Back
Top Bottom