Hello from the Oregon coast!

Amc29

Songster
5 Years
Feb 20, 2019
SW Oregon
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am not. I have been around chickens almost my entire life, except for a few years. My parents had them as far back as I can remember, and now I have them with my husband and son. The first in our own flock is almost two.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have one rooster with three hens. We also currently have eight chicks in the house.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Our Rooster, Parsnip, is a Delaware. Our hens are a turken, a Russian Orloff, and a Speckled Sussex named Nutmeg (our oldest). The chicks are French Copper Marans, a Gold Spitzhauben, Lavender Orpingtons, what I think are gold-laced wyandotte (I don't remember, but that is what they look like), and, I believe, a lavender wyandotte.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
While the eggs are certainly a plus, I enjoy watching their many personalities. We had a Delaware named Peppermint who liked to perch on my arm while I picked peas so she could snack on them (unfortunately she made her way to the dog's side of the fence), and Nutmeg is quite the survivor. After she watched the death of the only other remaining chicken from her batch, she went on a three day walkabout in the snow...we were sure she was dead. Then she showed up one morning upset that a fence was in her way. She is the favourite, especially since she tolerates affection from our toddler.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I enjoy gardening when the weather is right, especially watching our veggies grow. I like to camp and to hike. I also like baking and cooking, though I am kind of in a lull where I am not quite as ambitious with it as I used to be.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I live on a couple acres with our toddler, and about half the property is available for the chickens and ducks to roam (though they sometimes sneak into the area not for them). We have two dogs, a 12 pound mutt and a fifty pound mutt. I used to be a HS Social Studies/Government teacher, but have also worked for an OBGYN and in landscaping. I now stay at home with my son and also take care of my young niece during the week.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found BYC by googling a bunch of questions over the past couple years, and many results were linked to this site, so I guess I have known about it for a couple years. I finally decided to join because there has been a discussion or two I wanted to be a part of :)

Back
Top Bottom