Hello; New member, Long time lurker

Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

So glad you decided to de-lurk!

animated-indian-and-redskin-image-0031.gif

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

I have Icelandic Landrace, Rhode Island Reds (exhibition and production; a seriously underappreciated breed), American Bress (White), Wyandotte chickens (Blue, Splash and Black), Brown Leghorns, Bielefelders, Black Sumatra, White Crested Black Polish, Black Breasted Red Jungle Fowl, Bourbon Red Turkeys...and a host of other little cuties.

I would like to spend the rest of my life breeding 'the perfect chicken' (for me and my use). I love color and flash in hens and the bright distinct markings of jungle fowl. I fell in love with the beauty of the Icelandic roosters and want to base my breed of chickens on their self sufficient and natural color and beautiful feather markings.

Definitely some chicken math in my past, present and future. :)
Hello Can you tell me more about the perfect chicken? I want this also, but for heat tolerence. What does your perfect chicken qualities have?

Hello Can you tell me more about the perfect chicken? I want this also, but for heat tolerence. What does your perfect chicken qualities have?
I am looking for something that functions well for us in terms of being free ranging, esthetically beautiful, broody as well as large enough for meat. I think the one thing that is over emphasized in modern breeds is egg laying.

My Rhode Islands are a dual purpose bird that lays all through winter and perhaps has 'too many eggs' for our lifestyle. The Wyandotte and the Barnvelder are beautiful hens and I have started experimenting with the Rhode Islands crossing them with Leghorns which produces a very beautiful hen as well (like a Rhode Island with a deep red Leghorn feather pattern) but again, far too many eggs. Rhode Islands are also a bit frumpy but the Leghorn crosses are clearly much healthier and fitter with beautiful healthy feathers.

I am shooting for a true blue iridescent or purple sheen on the hens as well as a complex color pattern. And I really love unusual combs and beards, like on the Pavlovskaya chickens. The color combinations of the Mug game chickens is pretty amazing as well. So, for me, a lot of my quest is aesthetic [which translates to health for me] and functional. Here is a web site with Mug Game Chickens https://www.coalminermugs.com/mug.html.

I will post my favorites...in many ways these are very similar to the Icelandic Landrace but I think the Icelandic are more personable as well. For us, I think around 100 eggs per year or less per hen would be a good number.

Attachments

• mug game chicken 3.jpg
    mug game chicken 3.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1
  • mug game chicken 2.jpg
    mug game chicken 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hello I can't figure out what "Mug" means. Can you explain please?
That is the breed of chicken. If you click the website I posted she has a little explanation there on the page. They are classed as a game chicken. Game chickens are somewhere between a Jungle Fowl and a chicken genetically. While I do love the Mug's color, they are basically a 'wild' chicken from what I hear. So probably not suitable for much in terms of domestication. However, crossing them out with other more sedentary domesticated breeds might produce something pleasing.

That is the breed of chicken. If you click the website I posted she has a little explanation there on the page. They are classed as a game chicken. Game chickens are somewhere between a Jungle Fowl and a chicken genetically. While I do love the Mug's color, they are basically a 'wild' chicken from what I hear. So probably not suitable for much in terms of domestication. However, crossing them out with other more sedentary domesticated breeds might produce something pleasing.
Hello I can't find where you posted the website.

Back
Top Bottom