Hello!

FirelightFields

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2024
Joining to rehome my flock, I have used this forum for years with my many chickens and ducks. Love how open this forum is for people who had quick questions and Google lead us to this forum.

I live in Oklahoma and have had about 40 chickens of various breeds. The hardiest in Oklahoma for predators is RIR, Australorps, and Jersey Giants. Anything too small or with white just got targeted. All the was left of my free range flock was the dark colored ones. They lasted a long time and I loved those breeds. My favorite chicken is a buff Orpington but I just never had success with keeping them alive.

We rehomed my chickens in 2019 for a surgery and long recovery that I had.

In 2023 we decided to get some ducks and a goose. We bought a coop with a run instead of using the coop with no run we built for my chickens. We had no predator issues with the run attached. Once the ducks were big enough, we open them up to the yard every day and still no issues. They run to it if the goose alerts them. She is a wonderful sentry. Probably my favorite of the flock. We have Indian runner ducks. We are relocating and will be rehoming the flock.

Maybe one day in the far future I will get chickens or ducks again. But for now I think I will just move my gardening to the new place and focus on that for a couple years.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow When you restart again, you might want to keep in mind we have a Coop forum with tons of articles about predator-proofing as well. 1/2" hardware cloth is what most of us use to shore up any unwanted cracks or openings in the coop and used to build safe runs.

We have a lot of predators here, but in the last 7 years of 8, we've not lost one feather to a predator and we free-range. There are tricks to it but it can be done!

nice to meet you. i hope you find nice homes for them. my geese are my favorite too. what breed is your goose?
644779D2-53C0-4C97-ADC8-D891CD96E75E.jpeg

nice to meet you. i hope you find nice homes for them. my geese are my favorite too. what breed is your goose?View attachment 3945850
She is an African, she is so pretty and does a wonderful job as a sentry. She doesn’t his like people assume she would and generally just keeps the peace in the backyard.

Back
Top Bottom