Help! Black Mites

HeyHey

Songster
6 Years
Aug 23, 2017
I have had chickens for 8 years and never had bugs.
I am terrified of these little vampires.
I know this is going to sound stupid....is there anything I can use while the bedding are still in the coop?
I don't want to clean out all bedding and get them where my dog can bring them in the house.
I have treated chickens and they do not have access to the infected coop.
Anything I can use with the bedding still in there to kill them before I clean it out?

I read someone else say on another mite thread, "De on the floors (under bedding) and neem oil sprayed on perches and walls. It works great and is an organic product used to smother bugs on plants."
Do you use Diatomaceous Earth in your coop? I haven't had mites yet, but all my preparation reading led me to mix the sand floor with DE to help prevent mites and lice. Perhaps you can mix it into your bedding and see if the bugs die or vacate?

I read someone else say on another mite thread, "De on the floors (under bedding) and neem oil sprayed on perches and walls. It works great and is an organic product used to smother bugs on plants."
Do you use Diatomaceous Earth in your coop? I haven't had mites yet, but all my preparation reading led me to mix the sand floor with DE to help prevent mites and lice. Perhaps you can mix it into your bedding and see if the bugs die or vacate?
Thanks I will get some neem oil. My coop is a shed with wood floors. I use horse stall bedding from TSC.
Up until this point I just let my girls free range in the fence and dust bath when they want.
This all started with a broody.😵‍💫

Thanks I will get some neem oil. My coop is a shed with wood floors. I use horse stall bedding from TSC.
Up until this point I just let my girls free range in the fence and dust bath when they want.
This all started with a broody.😵‍💫
I would consider dusting the coop floor with DE as a preventative too, as they are likely around the coop as well.

Back
Top Bottom