Help!! Button is prolapsing now...what do we do?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
i am on the phone with UrbanMama now, her button is prolapsing...this is the buttons first egg....what can she do to help her?

thanks! i have been searching....the thing is she is so tiny..its hard to work with them...you cant insert anything in her vent..etc..because she is so small....poor thing! she has tried using oil on a q-tip...and soaking her in warm water...she is shaking now.......
hit.gif

A vet will give calcium gluconate... emergency substitute for that will be a crushed (half since this is a button ) TUM... keep on moist warm towel and put lots of baby oil on vent or KY gel. Good luck (do not try and insert your finger or such in her vent)

thanks Diana!..she is trying all that...she is saying that she is bleeding now..and that the egg is just too huge to pass...the membrane is bleeding...should she cut the membrane now? thanks for helping!
hugs.gif
also, she wont eat the tums...what can we do?

okay..Kelley saw that it was a soft shelled egg..so she put a hole in it and let it drain and she was able to pull the whole egg out with tweezers...she needs to know what to do with her right now? should she put her back with the mate for comfort.(maybe in a dark room)...they are very bonded..or will it kill her if he tried to mate her? how can she keep her from laying eggs for awhile now? she has had no artificial light on her and she still was trying to lay...

Put her in a dark, warm, place and let her rest.

What does she get to eat? Oral calcium isn't going to do much at this point.

To keep her from laying
1) decrease hours of light by 1-2 hours
2) discourage mating behavior
3) move to a different area of yard or different environment.

Thanks to everyone (including Redhen
hugs.gif
) for all of the help! She's resting quietly with her mate right now. I have them in my bedroom in a built-in cubby that I'm going to cover with a blanket to discourage laying for a while. It's nice and warm, quiet and dark.

Here are some pics of what we went through....

****WARNING****KIND OF GRAPHIC****

100_1459.jpg

100_1444.jpg

100_1454.jpg

(We had the heat lamp on her to...didn't want her to get chilled!)

100_1481.jpg

After I removed the egg...

100_1461.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom