Help! Coyotes.

My flock is free range during the day, and a coyote family keeps running out in our FRONT YARD when our chickens come outside the coop to try and snatch them. They have taken 5 already and almost got one today. (They grabbed her tail feathers, but she got away missing a few.) what do I do? If I leave my chickens up in the coop together, the roosters will probably kill each other, and the hens will squabble because they’re used to having their own space. I have no extra space really to separate anyone because my 4mo chicks are taking up a pen. and don’t have the heart to shoot a coyote, and also don’t have any traps big enough for them. There’s really no solution. They killed my neighbors 30 chicken flock. Every one of them. Now they’re coming after mine. Side note, we live on 50 acres.
You chose to free range chickens in an area with coyotes. The chickens cannot protect themselves. You have 3 options:
1. Lock up the chickens.
2. Shoot the coyotes.
3. Watch the coyotes kill your chickens.

My flock is free range during the day, and a coyote family keeps running out in our FRONT YARD when our chickens come outside the coop to try and snatch them. They have taken 5 already and almost got one today. (They grabbed her tail feathers, but she got away missing a few.) what do I do? If I leave my chickens up in the coop together, the roosters will probably kill each other, and the hens will squabble because they’re used to having their own space. I have no extra space really to separate anyone because my 4mo chicks are taking up a pen. and don’t have the heart to shoot a coyote, and also don’t have any traps big enough for them. There’s really no solution. They killed my neighbors 30 chicken flock. Every one of them. Now they’re coming after mine. Side note, we live on 50 acres.
With 'yote control, I have had decent enough luck with .17 HMR, as well as .22 WMR, although .223 Remington seems to serve that control purpose the better of the three.

Look up coyote roller on your fence

I understand tight budget and wanting to protect your birds. Coyotes are smart fast and lethal. You only have 2 choices at this point. Keep them in the coop and let the. Settle their differences among themselves or shoot the coyotes. Some times solar motion detectors will deter them but not for long. A looped recording of large dogs might help but as I said coyotes are smart and persistent. Unless you shoot them and they get the message you will continue to loose birds just as your neighbor did .

I keep my chickens in their coop at night I’m just asking what I need to do. Should I leave it be? Should I keep them in the coop? If so for how long? Should I try to shoot coyotes or something? I love my chickens their like my pets.. I just need an opinion if I should keep them locked up. Their used to free range so when I try they always pull each others feathers out because they want out.
You find that heart to shoot those coyotes and teach them they need to be scared to come around trying to eat your chickens! They are out of control and need to learn that us humans are a threat to them and that we will kill them if they mess with our animals. There is plenty of wildlife out there they can hunt and because like you said you don't have the heart to shoot one and because of this they are starting to grow in scary numbers and will become a real threat to not only animals but humans as well!

You find that heart to shoot those coyotes and teach them they need to be scared to come around trying to eat your chickens! They are out of control and need to learn that us humans are a threat to them and that we will kill them if they mess with our animals. There is plenty of wildlife out there they can hunt and because like you said you don't have the heart to shoot one and because of this they are starting to grow in scary numbers and will become a real threat to not only animals but humans as well!
Good Luck and I hope you do take care of the coyote issue and I hope those coyotes get the hint that its not ok to come around your place and try to kill your chickens! Get mad and get them!

Install a camera and baby monitors so you can spot any predators lurking around or hear them before they have time to attack. I installed electric fencing and its worked well for me so far. Trapping and killing predators is the only sure way of getting rid of them.Wishing you the best!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-13 9.45.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-13 9.45.06 PM.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I keep my chickens in their coop at night I’m just asking what I need to do. Should I leave it be? Should I keep them in the coop? If so for how long? Should I try to shoot coyotes or something? I love my chickens their like my pets.. I just need an opinion if I should keep them locked up. Their used to free range so when I try they always pull each others feathers out because they want out.
Seems that you have 1 of 3 choices.

1. Do nothing and keep feeding the coyotes until they kill your entire flock and move on to the next flock, like they did yours.

2. Keep them in their predator proof coop/run - either the current one and risk behavior problems in your chickens or build one suitable for the size of your flock including # of roosters.

3. Kill the coyotes. Your chickens are helpless against them. As their steward, you are responsible for their welfare and they need your protection.

Back
Top Bottom