HELP! Dukling preparation!

Bunbun0412

Songster
Dec 18, 2020
Someone I know just bought ducklings yesterday pretty irresponsibly. I am doing research for them to try and help even though my advice is not wanted, I just want the best or the ducks. :)

1. Can duck live with chickens in a chicken coop?
2. Can duck's be free roamed with no fence and lots of predators around?
3. What are some big pros?
4. What are some big cons?
5. What are some common health problems we should look out for?

Right now they are staying in a container in a bathtub with bantam chicks which makes me worry that the chicks don't have enough room but I am starting to think I worry to much 😆

Please help, I am going crazy because I just want the best for the ducks and for them to have the best life possible.

Resized_Screenshot_20220224-161715_Messages.jpeg

Resized_20220224_191230.jpeg

1) Ducks and chickens can be kept together as long as there are plenty of duck hens. Drakes breeding chicken hens can cause serious problems/deaths.

2)Predators like to eat ducks as much as chickens.

3)Ducks have great personalities and can lay lots of eggs.

4)They are very messy, and drakes and chicken hens can lead to serious problems.

5)Given a proper ration - niacin level is important - ducks are generally healthy.

They are going to rapidly outgrow that small tote that they are in.

1. Yes they can! I raised mine together though, so they knew each other from the start.
2. Thats up to them...predators are always on the hunt for any small animal though...
3. Ducks are super fun and affectionate and are super cute to watch! They also lay lots of eggs.
4. They are messier than chickens.
5. I agree with what @sourland said. Their feet should be checked regularly for bumblefoot and such like you would with chickens.

Yes they will need a bigger bin, and they also need deep water to clean our their nostrils and to stay healthy. But make sure its not too big or deep so they can get in it and get stuck and/or drown. Make sure they are eating and drinking!!! I got a duckling once that was very small and weak and I had to pull him out of the bin and put food in his beak for him and dip his beak in water. I went outside every 2-3 hours during the day to do this. Your friend's little duckies might be fine, but make sure they keep an eye out! As they grow they will continue to need a deeper dish so they can dunk their beaks all the way in the water to blow out their noses. (Ducks use water instead of tissues 😊) Good luck! If you have any more questions let us know!

Someone I know just bought ducklings yesterday pretty irresponsibly. I am doing research for them to try and help even though my advice is not wanted, I just want the best or the ducks. :)

Right now they are staying in a container in a bathtub with bantam chicks which makes me worry that the chicks don't have enough room but I am starting to think I worry to much 😆

Please help, I am going crazy because I just want the best for the ducks and for them to have the best life possible.

View attachment 3005383

View attachment 3005384
Yes, given there's enough duck hens, and space in the coop.

My ducks free range for part of the day so yea. But mine have an uncovered free range fenced area they go in during the day.

ducks are good layers, good for meat, friendly, funny to watch.

They are however messy so wagerers have to be kept outside all year round (in my experience). The ducklings will also out grow that tote really quickly.

With meat ducks like pekins and other heavier ducks it's easier for them to injure their legs, like with meat birds. But with proper diet and exercise they should be fine.

1. Yes they can! I raised mine together though, so they knew each other from the start.
2. Thats up to them...predators are always on the hunt for any small animal though...
3. Ducks are super fun and affectionate and are super cute to watch! They also lay lots of eggs.
4. They are messier than chickens.
5. I agree with what @sourland said. Their feet should be checked regularly for bumblefoot and such like you would with chickens.

Yes they will need a bigger bin, and they also need deep water to clean our their nostrils and to stay healthy. But make sure its not too big or deep so they can get in it and get stuck and/or drown. Make sure they are eating and drinking!!! I got a duckling once that was very small and weak and I had to pull him out of the bin and put food in his beak for him and dip his beak in water. I went outside every 2-3 hours during the day to do this. Your friend's little duckies might be fine, but make sure they keep an eye out! As they grow they will continue to need a deeper dish so they can dunk their beaks all the way in the water to blow out their noses. (Ducks use water instead of tissues 😊) Good luck! If you have any more questions let us know!
Thank you so much, that is good to know!

Praying that she will understand what they need!🙏 And thank you so much for caring enough to gather information for this person, even when you knew it wasn't wanted. Keep it up!!:):hugs

I explained this to the person but my advise was blown off! I hope she reads it somewhere herself so she will give give them what they need!
Might I suggest you invite the person to join BYC?

I have chickens and ducks together. We free range them. Good advice above.

The community would be happy to help. Big difference between offering unwanted advice (as you are finding out), and seeking advice when things go wrong. Hopefully, by that time, we of BYC will be available to the new and impetuous duck owner as a resource...

Might I suggest you invite the person to join BYC?

I have chickens and ducks together. We free range them. Good advice above.

The community would be happy to help. Big difference between offering unwanted advice (as you are finding out), and seeking advice when things go wrong. Hopefully, by that time, we of BYC will be available to the new and impetuous duck owner as a resource...
Well I am very close to them and I don't want to ruin my relationship with them so I will see if I can get the one that actually wants the advice on here but I don't think the other person ever want to here from me again :(

Back
Top Bottom