Help for my sister I need to purchase some pullets or young hens

Crimsons

Hatching
Nov 10, 2019
A few days ago something terrible happened. My sister's dog who was visiting got out of the yard and into the neighbor's very secure coup and killed three of his laying hens. My sister is not a neglectful dog owner she is a very serious one who keeps good care and gives appropriate attention. This was not a case of someone being irresponsible. She thought the dog had run off so she went driving and because she left looking for her the dog had time to do what it did. The neighbors are being nice about bu they are asking for three pullets or hens under a year old and presented her with an online solution clear across the country that will cost hundreds of dollars with shipping. She cannot afford that. I am trying to find someone who has three pullets or hens under a year old for sale of some good breed that the neighbor will be happy with. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated we are in the Olympia area. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me...

A few days ago something terrible happened. My sister's dog who was visiting got out of the yard and into the neighbor's very secure coup and killed three of his laying hens. My sister is not a neglectful dog owner she is a very serious one who keeps good care and gives appropriate attention. This was not a case of someone being irresponsible. She thought the dog had run off so she went driving and because she left looking for her the dog had time to do what it did. The neighbors are being nice about bu they are asking for three pullets or hens under a year old and presented her with an online solution clear across the country that will cost hundreds of dollars with shipping. She cannot afford that. I am trying to find someone who has three pullets or hens under a year old for sale of some good breed that the neighbor will be happy with. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated we are in the Olympia area. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me...
I'm clear across the country. :/ have you tried Craigslist? Knowing what breed they suggested you get for them would help.

Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances. Locate and post this request in your state thread. Good luck in helping your sister.

Wish I could help. I'm on the east coast and have chicks that just hatched, but they're not sexed yet.

Hope you find someone that can help in your location! I'm sorry this happened :hugs

Their request is reasonable. But, shipping is expensive. Just buying some random birds off Craig’s List may not be acceptable as the birds listed could be ill, old, mid-identified. Their flock was likely healthy and cared for and one reason they may be requesting started pullets from a hatchery is because they should be healthy, hatchery is tested and NPIP, and has available pullets. Shipping a grown bird is pricey.

other option is to look at NPIP website -search by state, and you will find many listings with addresses. Some of these may be breeder, some are hatcheries, but you may find some within driving distance. The neighbors may be ok with this option, but you should ask them first. Keep in mind a dog from your property killed their animals, so giving them some options (without pricey shipping) should be offered to them, and hopefully this works for them.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=pullet&sort=rel

Ask what type/breed they want then look through the link above.

There is nothing wrong with most of Craigslist birds. You need to do due diligence and have some knowledge of the birds in question is all. Most folks are great and have exactly what they say they have and some are not. You'll get a bad vibe from person or a good one and even as late as driving to location is never too late to back out of the deal. Say you see unclean conditions and birds don't look healthy. Just say no and try another. Don't confuse molting birds with unhealthy birds either. As I said, knowledge of subject is needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom