HELP! I assisted a duckling before internal pipping!

Pics
Only difference Runner ducklings stand up tall where KC are built just like other domestics. Runners when babies look like miniature bowling pins lol
Oh ok haha. No, my ducklings are not standing upright most of the time, so that's scratched off the list.

I put them in water that is not too deep to swim once a day for like 5 minutes so that they clean themselves, but I noticed that one of them always takes so long to dry, and I have to help it dry with a cloth or by holding it, as it won't dry normally. Also, today it didn't float on the water, but kept standing. The water is not too high so it can stand, but the rest were floating, while it sank, meaning the back became very wet as well, but its head was safe because it's not that deep. I am not sure what's wrong with it. By the way, I realized that it still had some yolk on its head but I didn't see that when I bought it, but when I arrived home. It doesn't move and keeps shivering when it's wet, but after drying, it plays with the other ducklings and becomes active again.

Ok this is definitely a drake....
٢٠٢٤١٠١٥_١٤٣٢٥١.jpg

It suddenly bit my hand and wounded it.
This is the one that usually comes to me instead of running away, and I think it was just trying to play because it literally bites everything it sees.

Thankfully it's not that painful lol.

Ok this is definitely a drake....View attachment 3965508
It suddenly bit my hand and wounded it.
This is the one that usually comes to me instead of running away, and I think it was just trying to play because it literally bites everything it sees.

Thankfully it's not that painful lol.
Ok after thinking about it, that's not "biting", because it has no teeth, but basically it used its bill to do that.

Oh ok haha. No, my ducklings are not standing upright most of the time, so that's scratched off the list.

I put them in water that is not too deep to swim once a day for like 5 minutes so that they clean themselves, but I noticed that one of them always takes so long to dry, and I have to help it dry with a cloth or by holding it, as it won't dry normally. Also, today it didn't float on the water, but kept standing. The water is not too high so it can stand, but the rest were floating, while it sank, meaning the back became very wet as well, but its head was safe because it's not that deep. I am not sure what's wrong with it. By the way, I realized that it still had some yolk on its head but I didn't see that when I bought it, but when I arrived home. It doesn't move and keeps shivering when it's wet, but after drying, it plays with the other ducklings and becomes active again.
Are you putting them in nice warm water? It’s not unusual for them to get soaked when tiny ducklings but letting them swim and bathe in nice warm water will get them preening and using their preen gland to spread their oil Over there down. Hopefully that will help your little one get better water proof. And a very good reason to never leave them alone when in water when tiny they can drown.

Are you putting them in nice warm water? It’s not unusual for them to get soaked when tiny ducklings but letting them swim and bathe in nice warm water will get them preening and using their preen gland to spread their oil Over there down. Hopefully that will help your little one get better water proof. And a very good reason to never leave them alone when in water when tiny they can drown.
I used to use normal room temperature water (the weather is kinda hot) but I did use warm water today, and the same thing happened. Today, another one also got soaked, but they keep using their bill to the back and then do weird magic and suddenly they are dry so fast, except for that one duckling.

It takes so long to dry, and is always the last one to dry. It doesn't move at all and just stays still until it mostly dries, then it starts doing just like them. When they dry, all of them becomes active, including the one that took so long to dry.

While the rest keeps drying themselves, it waits while shivering, so I have to use a cloth and keep it warm to dry it well.

Back
Top Bottom