HELP...I think this might not be my first egg...

Pics
2 days in a row with both my RIR's laying eggs in the nest boxes. I know it's them because I was home and seen them in the nest boxes.

I do think I have a BO or a BR laying, as it's a totally different shade and has speckles, but don't know exactly what was laid yesterday.
IMG_20190726_124228475.jpg

2 days in a row with both my RIR's laying eggs in the nest boxes. I know it's them because I was home and seen them in the nest boxes.

I do think I have a BO or a BR laying, as it's a totally different shade and has speckles, but don't know exactly what was laid yesterday. View attachment 1857889
I think you're almost out of the woods. :fl

It's the first I've found.

It's been hot here, so for the past couple weeks, all doors and windows have been closed up and AC has been on. I'd check the coop fist thing, and when I get home from work. Nothing.

However this morning I had the windows and doors open, and heard the egg song.. I quickly ran out to the coop, and seen one of my RIR's squatting in the middle of the run. The other gals were all around her. As I opened the door, she got up and there's a small egg.
But the other hens immediately began pecking at it. I managed to get it before they broke it. So I'm thinking this might not be her first if the others are eating them.

I've had fake eggs in the nest boxes for a week or so.
Will she eventually lay in the boxes? How do I keep the other from eating the eggs, if they are?

I have never heard it called the 'egg song' but I love it! Our neighbor's dog sings the song of his people whenever one of our hens is announcing her egg arrival. I have two wooden eggs in the area that everyone uses. I have many boxes but they all (10) want to use the same spot. They will line up and wait to use it! I had egg eating issues until I put the wooden eggs in. I have a mix of ages and have some pretty old hens that don't lay anymore..still pretty and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom