Help ID these footprints

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
We found these outside the chicken coop. This is the ridge vent that we are getting ready to install. The coop is predator proof with an apron and 1/2” hardware cloth everywhere, but these prints make me concerned.

F79A1B78-8B6C-4CA9-B092-ABB09E98CAE0.jpeg

Thank you.

We moved the chickens into the coop about 2 weeks ago. It didn't take the raccoons very long to find them. I guess this will test whether our coop is truly predator safe. My husband wants to add motion flood lights so he can see the raccoons at night if they come around. I should probably do a search and see what other people do.

Definitely a raccoon. They’re ingenious little devils. My coop and run had been seemingly predator price for several years now and a few weeks back I found a chicken killed at night. I found where they got in and sealed it up, but two days later they tore open some chicken wire. I decided to leave the hole open and put a trap there. So whatever comes through the hole HAS TO go in the trap. Over the next week, I caught and relocated 6 raccoons. This weekend I will seal the hole up. Haven’t caught one in about a week so I think I got them all.

Definitely a raccoon. They’re ingenious little devils. My coop and run had been seemingly predator price for several years now and a few weeks back I found a chicken killed at night. I found where they got in and sealed it up, but two days later they tore open some chicken wire. I decided to leave the hole open and put a trap there. So whatever comes through the hole HAS TO go in the trap. Over the next week, I caught and relocated 6 raccoons. This weekend I will seal the hole up. Haven’t caught one in about a week so I think I got them all.

Ugh! I think we made a really predator proof coop. We sandwiched the hardware cloth between 2X4s in the run and used fender washers with screws in the coop. The roof gap has hardware cloth installed. Everywhere that was bigger than 1/2" was covered. This makes anxious and I hope we don't fail our chickens.

I'm going to run to TSC after work and get a trap. Our electrical isn't hooked up yet at the coop and it's a bad week for my husband to do any extra work around the yard. I can do some things, but not electrical. I may have to buy solar powered flood lights.

Ugh! I think we made a really predator proof coop. We sandwiched the hardware cloth between 2X4s in the run and used fender washers with screws in the coop. The roof gap has hardware cloth installed. Everywhere that was bigger than 1/2" was covered. This makes anxious and I hope we don't fail our chickens.

I'm going to run to TSC after work and get a trap. Our electrical isn't hooked up yet at the coop and it's a bad week for my husband to do any extra work around the yard. I can do some things, but not electrical. I may have to buy solar powered flood lights.
Don’t think that your coop isn’t predator proof. Tracks mean that they are interested in it. I’ve seen raccoons on top of the coop and run many many times over the last few years. This doesn’t mean you have to buy anything extra. Just make sure you periodically go over possible weak spots. Overlaps, seems, check for digging around the perimeter, and things of that nature. Give your fences a tug every once in a while and make sure nothing is coming loose.

Back
Top Bottom