Help identifying please

txchickies4

Hatching
Jun 24, 2024
Hello!

My boyfriend and I got some chickens after a teacher in my school district hatched them in an incubator. Unfortunately, we are unsure what breeds we got. I’ve been struggling on figure out our three chickens below. I’m thinking the black ones are both Black Ameraucanas but the white one is a mystery. Would anyone have any thoughts or ideas? I posted a picture of the breeds the farmer hatches.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8396.jpeg
IMG_8911.jpeg
IMG_8909.jpeg
IMG_8904.jpeg

I’m thinking the black ones are both Black Ameraucanas but the white one is a mystery. Would anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

The first black one looks like it has a rose comb and the second one is straight.. neither are Ameraucana as far as I can tell. Both might be eggers.. some "farmers" might call them AmerIcana.. while not breeding to any standard.

Marans is always said with an S at the end regardless if it's single or plural.. after the region they hail from in France, for informational purposes only. French standard of perfection requires feathered legs.. American standard does not last time I checked.

The last black bird is bearded.. ruling out Marans. And as previously stated the straight comb rules out true Ameraucana.

White skin is dominant to yellow and sex linked when black is crossed over it.. and the white bird looks mixed to me.

Congrats on your new feathered friends! 🥰

The first black one looks like it has a rose comb and the second one is straight.. neither are Ameraucana as far as I can tell. Both might be eggers.. some "farmers" might call them AmerIcana.. while not breeding to any standard.

Marans is always said with an S at the end regardless if it's single or plural.. after the region they hail from in France, for informational purposes only. French standard of perfection requires feathered legs.. American standard does not last time I checked.

The last black bird is bearded.. ruling out Marans. And as previously stated the straight comb rules out true Ameraucana.

White skin is dominant to yellow and sex linked when black is crossed over it.. and the white bird looks mixed to me.

I read Marans have feathered legs, but she doesn’t. I was thinking black copper maran too but then I read that and was confused
View attachment 3871387

thank you! Do you believe they are all hens?

Back
Top Bottom