Help!....My son wants a dog!

I am not sure. I am going to get her into the vet soon. After her behavior I cancelled my appointment because I didn't want to vet a dog I wasn't keeping.
SO now I have to make a new appointment.
tongue.png
I was going guess but I am not very good at that..... this is one time I wish had a scale around!
lol.png
what do you think she is?

This dog resembles my uncle's Walker hounds a lot. -love those dogs! (haven't any idea what breed/mix of breeds your dog is, but the vet may can help with that a bit) -anyway, it's adorable. I hope that everything works out well!
smile.png

I haven't had had a chance to read every single comment, but I didi read where you said that the aggression incident occurred as your son was trying to get her out of her kennel. This is an incredibly dangerous thing to do with a dog you don't know well. A dog's kennel needs to be a sanctuary where they can go to get away from other dogs and people when they are feeling overwhelmed/threatened. Since the dog was in a new stressful environment she was doing what was natural by going to her den where she knew she would be safe. This overall is a good thing and exactly what you want her to do when she needs space or feels threatened.

Kennels/Crates can be an excellent tool for helping anxious dogs adjust to new situations. But, there must be very strict ground rules on how the crate is used. The crate belongs to the dog and only the dog. Children need to be taught that when the dog goes to it's crate that it is the dogs way of saying "I need space/leave me alone." Children should never be allowed to play in or around the crate. Although your son was not playing, he was invading her sanctuary, and she was obviously feeling anxious/fearful at the time and needed some space.

In the future, I would suggest that you use treats to lure her out of the crate (and a few feet away from it) before trying to get her to do something. If she refuses to leave the crate, leave her be. She is still adjusting to a new environment, and it sounds like her time at the shelter was a bit chaotic and left her feeling insecure and unable to protect herself.

That being said, there is nothing you have said that suggests that she is an aggressive dog. Just an insecure pup in a new environment. At her age it probably won't take long for her to figure out that in your home she will not be picked on by other dogs/people or need to compete for food, and will probably relax and settle in very quickly.

In the pictures you posted, she definitely looks beaglish (especially the profile shot). She could also be a larger hound breed (harrier/walker) since she does look pretty big for her age to be a beagle. In the pics she also appears to be very relaxed and comfortable with your son. We've had a variety of rescued hounds as pets and fosters (from beagle all the way up to walker coon hounds) and they tend to be very sweet and loyal dogs.

I appreciate the advice. In hindsight I should not have let him go into the kennel.....I don't know why but I never really thought much about a 10 week old puppy wanting to bite. I was raised with alot of dogs and none of them ever bit anyone or growled or anything EVER so this is kind of new to me. I will start treating her if necessary although I may not have to. She wants to be with us now! She has come leaps and bounds today...She even instigated a playing session with our Weim! She is on the brink of being house trained she went to the door today and my son let her out and she went up to the "potty spot" and did her thing and came back! She might be the easiest dog I have ever trained. She has a happy go lucky air about her....I think she is coming around and getting more confident. I am not as fearful as I was yesterday, although I am still on my guard and probably will be for quite some time.

This dog resembles my uncle's Walker hounds a lot. -love those dogs! (haven't any idea what breed/mix of breeds your dog is, but the vet may can help with that a bit) -anyway, it's adorable. I hope that everything works out well!
smile.png
Thank You for your warm wishes. I looked up walker hounds she does have a bit of that look about her. maybe a beagle and hound of some sort mixed

That's so great that she's come around so fast! One other thing to consider, when she came home with you was probably the first time she was separated from her siblings, so she's alone, in a new place, with someone she doesn't know coming right at her in her "hiding" spot and there's a big dog out there like the ones that beat on her before...With all of that, it's not surprising she snapped a bit. Now she knows none of you are out to hurt her. By the way, she is CUTE!

Thanks! Yes, I can see how being away from her litter mates could be very scary. People see bringing the dog home and "rescuing it" as a great and happy thing. And even though the "shelter" was terrible, coming here to our house was probably at the time, MORE stressful than going back to the shelter. I wish I had known what she had been dealing with, I would have prepared her first day home differently. I wish I could have made it easier for her. I would have put my Weim. up. And covered the kennel with a sheet and let the pup stay in there and chill out for several hours. I am Thankful dogs are so forgiving! She was playing with my Weim again last night so each day the trust grows.

while we are talking about potential issues, have you considered how you will handle things if the Weim decides that he(she?) doesn't like the new dog? Right now she is a puppy and for the most part dogs are going to be patient with a puppy. When she hits about 6 months old, that will all change. And dogs that once got along perfectly can decide that one just can't stand the other. There will be another period of adjustment when the new pup hits 1-2 years old. That is when she will be fully an adult and wanting to establish her own value to the pack. It's not super common but still happens more than most people think.
It's advised to plan for the worst and hope for the best with things like this. One of the first considerations when you get a dog is the "what ifs" If one decides that he dislikes the other are you prepared to keep them 100% separated for the rest of their lives? Some dogs can't even be allowed to see each other without going crazy. Others are ok as long as there are no toys, food, or attention being given out and they are supervised. Some people have to crate and rotate - one dog is always crated and confined and the other is out, switching places several times a day.

ETa; also do some research on "fear periods" being a pup she is going to go through several. You need to know about what age to expect them and how to handle her training during those times to help her through.

Last edited:
My Weim is VERY submissive. She has been on family reunion vacations were everyone had their dogs with them so there were 6 or 7 dogs running around. They all got along very well. The only one who didn't like Bella (my Weim.) was a Minature poodle of my Brother in laws...Bella avoided him and ran from him if he barked at her! Bella could have crushed him if she had wanted too. Bella also ran from this new pup that we got when she was having outbursts. I don't forsee Bella ever going after another dog to fight...all she wants to do is play. I feel like in the end Bella will take a submissive roll to Miley (the new dog). Which is fine as long as everyone is happy. I think Bella will enjoy having a playmate, other than me, as I don't wrestle with her or let her play bite me. I am hoping they will be big play buddies. If the worst comes I do have 2 plus fenced in acres and could divide it into front and back yards to seperate them if necessay. BUT I will be shooting for me being the leader and everyone getting along.

Back
Top Bottom