Help!....My son wants a dog!

You are right...semantics. Everyone has their own definition. Just like, what do you consider a big breeder? Anyone that raises more than 2 - 3 litters a year, in my opinion is not doing it for the love of the breed..but, that is my opinion. That's why blanket statements should not be used.

2 litters a year with the same female dog is very cruel in my opinion. That is over breeding.

If they are show dogs and have a few female dogs bred in the same year is fine. Make sure it's not a puppy mill either.

My parents bred once every 2-5 years. Not often and always champion dogs. They did their best to improve the breed. They always had hips and knees approved by the vet as well.

Last edited:
actually, there is now health research showing that, in a healthy female, back to back litters can actually be more beneficial to the dog. That, of course, assumes that she isn't one who goes off her feed or needs time to recoup after the pups are weaned. Some females breeze through it and, for those females, there can be health benefits to consecutive breedings. The main benefit is to have her produce a couple of litters and then spay before the risk of pyrotemia (which I know I spelled wrong). I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now.

Pyrometria...

2 litters in one year for a young healthy female dog is not overbreeding. Continuing to breed her like that year after year...that would be cruel.

However, I think we should get back on topic.

A healthy, happy, non- aggressive puppy no matter where it comes from or, what its breeding is what the OP needs for her son..should they decide to try again.

HELLO! We are back considering trying again....sometimes I think I am a fool and a gluten for punishment!
th.gif

I found a Weim/Lab at a rescue group. They require an approved application before we can proceed any futher. SO... IF we pass the screening, what should I look for personality wise...I feel like I should know already....however I already made a bad choice once and am very scared of repeating the same mistake. My son CAN NOT go through that again!

Here is a picture of her

sent back to me from the Director with an attached application.....
She is very playful with all of the foster puppies she lives with (she is much faster than them so she thinks it is a lot of fun!) She was found as a stray and nobody ever came to reclaim her. She has an absolutely beautiful face! I think she would enjoy an active family and another doggie playmate. I have also attached a few more pictures of her. Her adoption fee will be $225 which includes all of her vaccines and boosters, spay, and her microchip. Please get your application back as soon as possible so that you are the first to have your application in!

She is also supposed to be housetrained, she is listed at "young" not "puppy" so i am not sure of her current age and it really doesn't matter to me what age she is as long as she is a good fit for our family.
Any advice out there??

Last edited:
Look for a dog/puppy with a friendly disposition. Lick your hands, waggy tail and happy greeting.

Stay away from the shy and timid dogs. I learned my lesson well... I hope.;)

Good luck.

Last edited:
How old are they thinking she is? She could be pure, some people are breeding for the blue gene now and not docking the tails. How familiar are you with Weimaraners? They can be very protective/ guard oriented. One of mine was trained full K-9 police protection and she only weighed 64/68 lbs. She was also a therapy dog, did search and rescue and cadaver recovery. We vol. all over the U.S.A. and abroad.

I would take her to a puppy class or two. Yes, worth every penny. And as they both get older keep going to a class or two it will help them both so much.

Oops, just went back saw that you have a Weim already. So compare what you remember and like about yours to the pup. But remember to factor in where the pup was found and is now. You have to give her time to settle and relise she is home now. I think you have a chance at a very devoted partner for your son.

Maye

Ride the Glide.....Got Gait......I Do....

Last edited:
I wondered if she was pure as well......she has a VERY distinctive Weim face! The Weim we have now is our first purebred dog....she has been a dream to train! She fits into our family like she has always been here! I have heard some weims can be nightmares....Some of that I think can be contributed to not enough exercise. With another dog to play with, and kids to entertain, as well as our hiking/biking/camping interests... exercise should not be a problem here. I am really nervous about setting my son up for failure again.....If we pass the screening and get to go meet her....I am really going to insist on bringing Bella and spending more time with the dog BEFORE commiting to bring her home. If I had been able to bring Bella to the first meeting with the first dog I would have seen the dog aggression first hand and would have walked away.

I don't know about her age....in the first email I sent I did ask but she did not specifically answer the question. I am going to get that question answered before driving up to Newnan (about a 45 minute drive) i am not sure why she didn't answer perhaps she missed it or maybe the dog has been in foster so long she is now fully grown.....which for me is fine as long as the dog is a good fit but some people are stuck on having a puppy. So maybe that is her way of dodging the age issue. ???

Last edited:
Look for a dog/puppy with a friendly disposition. Lick your hands, waggy tail and happy greeting.
Stay away from the shy and timid dogs. I learned my lesson well... I hope.
wink.png

Good luck.
ME too! I hope.....Thanks for the advice! Maybe the second time will be "the charm"!

Back
Top Bottom