Help needed, What food do I put the flock on?

Met and Lys are both Low. Low Met is unfortunately common in Organic feeds. Its the amino acid most associated with connective tissues - skin, digestive tract, cartilage, ligaments/tendons, etc. Because the operation of its digestive system is a substantial portion of its immune mechanisms, its also associated with good immune systems and also feed efficiency.

Met and Lys are both Low. Low Met is unfortunately common in Organic feeds. Its the amino acid most associated with connective tissues - skin, digestive tract, cartilage, ligaments/tendons, etc. Because the operation of its digestive system is a substantial portion of its immune mechanisms, its also associated with good immune systems and also feed efficiency.
So what is your recommendation? Is it dangerously low? How would you suggest supplementing it?

So what is your recommendation? Is it dangerously low? How would you suggest supplementing it?
Dangerous? No, probably not. Just the birds won't develop to their full potential. Lower rate of lay, lower viability of offspring, greater vulnerability to disease, longer molts.

Met levels are hard to substitute, particularly if you are sticking with Organic. Good Met sources are animal proteins - fish, crab, insect, porcine blood meals, etc. Also soy meal - about the only common, great, and relatively inexpensive, Met source in the plant world.

I look for Met levels of at least 0.35% for growing birds, higher if I can (and do) get it. 0.30% is generally considered the minimum recommend for adult layers. I also like 0.7+ for Lysine levels, though 0.6 meets minimum recommends for adult layers. Growing meat birds needs are of course higher than growing DB bird needs, which are greater than growing egg layer needs. And growing birds need more nutritonally dense protein feed than adults.

If we knew where the OP was, we might be able to make some alternative recommends based on what's on local shelves. Almost always easier to buy a better feed than it is to try and fix a sub par one. Usually cheaper, too.

Last edited:
I have a very healthy flock of bantam hens who had organic feed most of their lives. I let them free range a few hours a day (on average) and they get some scratch and sometimes a few mealworms. During the moult/winter, when the chickens stop laying and when I have chicks, I buy chick feed. If they cant free range, I often cut some herbs and grasses (fine cut) for fresh vitamines.

If you buy organic for your flock do consider that the layer pellets and layer crumble is ‘designed’ for free ranging laying hens (young commercial laying hybrids). The ordinary organic chick pellets/crumble is ‘designed’ for broilers.
I have never seen especially made organic feed in the shop for breeding purposes or a mixed flock. I buy what is available for a good price.

I do recommend organic because its the only food that is available where I live without poison (GMO/round up). Organic is better for everyone’s health and the environment. But do make it possible for hens to free range or add some fresh supplements to cover any shortages.

Back
Top Bottom