Help!! Scalped chicken!

Kuntreechick

Hatching
May 19, 2024
We have a group of five 8-week old pullets that we are trying to integrate with our established flock of 17 week old birds. We have part of the coop blocked off by hardware cloth to introduce them without being physically together. However, one of my pullets escaped. When I found her she was hiding under the food bin, completely scalped and covered in ants. I cleaned her up and brought her inside. I washed her wounds and applied antibiotic ointment and put her in isolation in the garage. I have been putting the antibacterial poultry spray on her wounds daily. I have been giving her water daily through a syringe. She is doing much better now. She is drinking on her own and much more lively. Even chirping from time to time. When should I put her back with her flock? I have sectioned off a pen on the run for them with their own food and water and that’s where the other pullets are now until they get bigger. Also, when and how should I try integrating the two flocks?? Please help! I don’t want any of my babies injured again!

Chickens will pick at any wounds they find so make sure she’s healed well before putting her back.

i usually wait until they’re about the same size to integrate but I keep them close to the main flock usually in a crate or netted fence depending on how many there are to get familiar with them without being able to get at each other.
Mine free range now so I can let them be together a lot earlier because they have a lot a space.

When you put them together whenever you do it, watch closely. I usually quietly observe for about a half hour at first and check in often to make sure things aren’t getting too violent.

We have a group of five 8-week old pullets that we are trying to integrate with our established flock of 17 week old birds. We have part of the coop blocked off by hardware cloth to introduce them without being physically together. However, one of my pullets escaped. When I found her she was hiding under the food bin, completely scalped and covered in ants. I cleaned her up and brought her inside. I washed her wounds and applied antibiotic ointment and put her in isolation in the garage. I have been putting the antibacterial poultry spray on her wounds daily. I have been giving her water daily through a syringe. She is doing much better now. She is drinking on her own and much more lively. Even chirping from time to time. When should I put her back with her flock? I have sectioned off a pen on the run for them with their own food and water and that’s where the other pullets are now until they get bigger. Also, when and how should I try integrating the two flocks?? Please help! I don’t want any of my babies injured again!
It is best to wait until the pullets are the same size as the rest of the flock before integrating them. The injured pullet should stay inside or somewhere there are no flies until her wound(s) are healed. Fly strike is no joke. :) Also, the other pullets will pick at her wounds if she isn't fully healed. Our chickens free range, and I have a dog kennel I put up in the pasture when I am integrating new chickens. I also have an area with fence posts that I add fencing to if I have more pullets than acceptable for the kennel. The pullets are moved into a sectioned off area of the coop to roost. I leave the pullets in the kennel (or pen) for a week, and then I open the door. They have the option of staying in or venturing out. I make sure I plan accordingly so I can hang around the barn to intervene if necessary when I let them out. Some pecking is to be expected as the pullets learn the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom