Help Sexing Orpie Chick

Badey

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
Hey everyone, apologies for posting another one of these. My son is worried that his favorite chick is a rooster. This is a 4 week old Buff Orpington. I’m leaning toward rooster, because the comb is already starting to grow a little bit more than the other chicks (this is the only Orpington in the batch though). I added a wing photo in case that will help. Thank you all for all of your help with this batch of chicks! This is a great community!

IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2823.jpeg

It's hard to tell because the red light is making the comb look more pink than it actually is. But with that much comb development I would be suspicious too. If we were looking at a breed like a leghorn that tends to have enormous single combs I wouldn't worry, but that's an awfully big comb for a 4 week old orp.

It's hard to tell because the red light is making the comb look more pink than it actually is. But with that much comb development I would be suspicious too. If we were looking at a breed like a leghorn that tends to have enormous single combs I wouldn't worry, but that's an awfully big comb for a 4 week old orp.
x2

Back
Top Bottom