HELP! Turkey with bad bite and tear-

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Sir Puffs Alot decided to throw down with one of the dogs. At first glance it didnt look so bad, but once the DH got home we were able to look at it more closely.

It's bad---

There is a 4" long tear on the breast, significantly deep ~2". There is significant bruising and some swelling starting to happen. no significant blood loss at this point.

We are going to try suture it, but we need some help.

1- Suggestions on cleaning solutions?
2- Best suggestion for topical antibiotics?
3- Should I be giving him injectable antibiotics for a period after?

Most importantly:

It smells bad. I suspect there is a puncture in the crop---not the big tear, but probably a puncture from the opposite canine. Thoughts? Suggestions?

He's a pet, and I would rather TRY to help him, rather than just put him down. On the other hand, I also don't want him to suffer unduly.

The one thing I can tell you is not to POUR peroxide on a wound that is torn - it destroys the outer tissue. You can dap with it on a qtip, but don't poor.

The rest I can't help you with
sad.png

I'm afraid I haven't been in this situation before, but hopefully something I say will be useful.

If you have nothing else, even a quick saline solution would be great for cleaning the wound. Neopsporin (without pain killer or 'caine' ingredients) is often used by BYC members when treating wounds like this.

I'd clean it carefully with a cloth and see what it looks like. If the crop is punctured, you're going to have to stitch it shut before proceeding.

Good luck with her. I know there are some forum posts on similar situations!

Birds can be really tough and I have seen them pull through some really nasty injuries. Try to limit the stress on him as much as possible. Try to treat him as quickly and quietly as possible and then put him in a clean environment out of direct light so he feels secure. I can't really give advise on treatment without seeing the wounds, but blu-kote wound spray has proven miraculous for many of my critters' injuries. Best of luck.

Another bit of advise... use nail glue for wound closures. Its available at any beauty supply store and probably even Walmart for less than $3. Its the glue they glue fake nails on with. It may not be the healthiest thing to put on an open wound but I frequently use it on myself for all sorts of minor to moderate cuts. It works like surgical glue or super glue but does not sting. Super glue is good substitute but it stings for a minute.

Last edited:
OK-- we are prepping for turkey surgery.

Will take pics.

Have blue cote and various other implements.

How sad is it I have no problem sewing up the DH, but am exceedingly nervous about Sir Fluffs Alot?

Laree - I am not a vet tech, and am just giving an opinion based on crazy situations I have had to deal with with horses and dogs. Use the suggestions at your own risk.

I agree with flushing out the wounds and irrigating with saline solution. If you wear contact lenses and have it, this will work great. You can buy saline, or in a big pinch, you can make your own saline solution. Put a quart of water on to boil to sterilize it. Ideally use distilled water if you have it around, otherwise make do with tap. Once the water has boiled, pull out a 1/2 quart to pour over things that need to be sterilized. Into the remaining 1/2 quart of boiled water, add 2 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda. Let it cool until it is barely lukewarm. Flush out the wound with a syringe or turkey baster (appropriate here).

If the wounds have already started to clot and you need to open them up again: Put some of the warm saline (warm to almost hot to your touch, not lukewarm as for flushing) in a clean bowl with a teaspoon of peroxide. Use a clean rag dipped in the solution and compress the wound until you can properly clean it out. You can gently debride the edges of the wound with this solution too.

Once clean, I would recommend Betadine solution as an antibiotic if it is safe for chickens (I'll check in a minute).

When stitching up the wounds, you might want to leave a small part open in case it needs to drain. You HEcan compress this spot again later with warm saline to keep it clear. IF YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE YOU COVER THIS SPOT WITH A NON-STICK PAD AND GAUZE AND VET WRAP TO KEEP IT CLEAN!

Sorry, I can't help with the crop.

Betadine is ok, but it looks like you have other stuff ready to go.

GOOD LUCK!

You are so capable, don't worry!

I'm going to check on the Betadine.

Hope this made some sense, I am typing as fast as I can.

Last edited:
Just found Storey's Guide for Raising Chickens online. It says you can use Betadine and/or saline solution for cleaning out wounds. Keep in mind this is for chickens so I am not 100% sure it can be used for Turkeys. I hope it turns out ok.
fl.gif

Last edited:
K-

Boiled water, added salt. Put in sport bottle for flushing.

Flushed thoroughly, not a lot of blood, but seepage.

Sewed various bites and tears semi-shut. Left room for seepage, as I suspect these wounds will need it.

All sewing done by most awesomest of husbands, my DH. Laree's super-sense of smell was a great hinderance during this project, as the crop had multiple tears in it.

Rinsed again, covered with antibotic, then poured blue cote over it.

Quarantined tom on other end of yard, away from coop and main concentration of flies.

Gave water, will add tylan 50 to it in the morning.

Turkey seems disoriented, but not floppystoopid.

Have lots of pics, will post if there is interest.

Now I am off to shower the crop smell out of my hair. Latherrinserepeatlatherrinserepeat.

Back
Top Bottom