Help! Very stiff legs in hen how to help!

Cmerchant

Chirping
May 11, 2021
So recently purchased 4 supposedly 1yr old hens to add to my flock after losing quite a few to a fox & I noticed one hen seems to have very stiff legs other than that she seemed fine, don't observe her mingling much with any others & spends alot of her time laying on ground, which I assume is her struggling to walk..I have had them almost a month & began integration which still in eve have to close them off so my other hens allow them to eat & drink, a few days ago I found her bloody at tail feathers & one wing (lots of feathers removed)😥😥, looked like one attacked her, so removed & isolated, been giving her nutridench daily & spraying with antibiotic poultry spray..she seems fine otherwise, but what can I give her to help her be able to walk normally? Her legs are so stiff she walks like a penguin & I feel once I reintroduce her after she's healed she will again get attacked! I've seen nothing in the other 3
Thank you for any advice

Hi! I have a hen that has one leg that's like that. It's been like that since I bought her. She has slowed down in this last year, she's in her fourth year. She's a good layer, she has a buddy which I think has helped that she doesn't get bullied.

What kind of breed are they?

Chickens may attack another that is struggling to walk or acting different. Can you get a picture of her legs standing? Can you see anything (swelling, redness, green bruising, or a scrape) that might look like an injury? Is she laying normal eggs? Is her lower belly enlarged or different?

Hi! I have a hen that has one leg that's like that. It's been like that since I bought her. She has slowed down in this last year, she's in her fourth year. She's a good layer, she has a buddy which I think has helped that she doesn't get bullied.

What kind of breed are they?
She is a lav orph, I got 2 lav orphs & 2 Wyandotte's, lost 1 Wyandotte that escaped the 2nd week after integrating (think chased by rooster) so atm the other 2 hang on their own still but integrating with the others..but this happened also when the 3 of them were alone, I noticed the 1 Wyandotte pecking her while eating, but just assumed pecking order so wondering if she's the one who attacked her😥 I'm just concerned it will happen again & I may not catch it in time

Chickens may attack another that is struggling to walk or acting different. Can you get a picture of her legs standing? Can you see anything (swelling, redness, green bruising, or a scrape) that might look like an injury? Is she laying normal eggs? Is her lower belly enlarged or different?
I will take pic this morning, no swelling, bruises or redness.. her vent is clear & looks normal as well except for the stabbing from the healing
None of them have layed since I got them, which prior owner said most had stopped laying already..
& no crop issues that I have found
She actually stands like a rooster does, very straight..

I will take pic this morning, no swelling, bruises or redness.. her vent is clear & looks normal as well except for the stabbing from the healing
None of them have layed since I got them, which prior owner said most had stopped laying already..
& no crop issues that I have found
She actually stands like a rooster does, very straight..
*scabbing (darn sp check)

If they are only 1 year old, they should normally lay through their first year, even with fewer hours of daylight. If they are 1 1/2, they could be starting to molt. You can turn on a small lightbulb inside the coop for a couple of hours early in the morning to provide extra light so they get 12 hours of light a day, and many will lay through winter. Some do that, and some let them rest all winter.

Back
Top Bottom