Help! What's going on with my Chicken?!

Mandyk0618

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2022
Hi there, I recently noticed my hen was missing all of her feathers on her lower belly, and she has a rash/broken skin as well.

Any ideas on what might be going on, and what I should do? It's now been like that for a week or so (since I initially discovered it), and it doesn't seem to be getting better. You really can't tell unless you pick her up, so I have no idea when or how it started. I was worried that my other 2 hens might start peeking at her, but I don't see them being aggressive towards her... not yet at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_3707.jpeg
    IMG_3707.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 22
Hmm maybe. She is my best egg layer, so she is in there more than the others, but she hasn't been in there that much. Although now that you say that, I was surprised the other day when she was in the nesting box, and I didn't find an egg afterwards. Her temperament is still the same. She's very sweet.

Is there anything I can or should do if that is the case?

Looks like typical feather loss from going in/out of nesting boxes and roosting.
Feathers are broken and/or rubbed off.

Do look for lice/mites, she looks quite robust and most all the skin looks healthy, except for a couple of small places toward the backend.

A little NuStock cream on the 2 tiny areas help heal the skin.

Back
Top Bottom