Hen ate medicated chick starter-how long do we wait to eat eggs?

I was reading on another forum site (I think backyardpoultry or something) and some members there suggested that the only reason that they say not to feed it to layer hens is because they haven't ever done any studies to see what the effects are, so to cover their asses, they warn against it.

But honestly, I don't know, and there don't seem to be any clear answers. From what I have minimally researched, dinitro-O-toluamide is NOT an antibiotic as others have suggested. According to Wikipedia, it is an antiprotozoal specifically for coccidiosis, so I can't imagine it can really have terrible effects on humans, and as has already been mentioned: we can eat chickens that have been fed this medication, why wouldn't we be able to eat the eggs?

This site might be helpful in regards to the profile of the chemical:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+7192 <--- This may have been posted earlier, or at least some of the information on it has been already made known.

Also, someone mentioned NEVER having chicks with older hens... Mine are with the other hens, and they have had no problems to date. They even jump on my other broody, while the rest of the hens pretty much just leave the chicks alone. This may have something to do with the fierce mama, but it's worked out well so far.

Sorry for bringing this one back from the dead, but great post! Thanks!

I have a hen who is fixing to get her wings clipped, because she refuses to stay in the pen during the day and has been eating the tidbits of chick starter that I dump when cleaning out the shavings scratched into the feeder in my brooder.

It's not much, but made me wonder if her eggs are safe to eat. I honestly have no idea how you can tell who lays what egg (with the exception of different breed/colors)

Anyway, thanks again!

So is it ok to eat eggs from hens that have been eating medicated chick feed by purina? My town doesn't have grower feed available.. so my 19 week olds have had chick starter this whole time. Should I switch them to laying feed or mix laying feed with he rest of the chick starter that I have? Not sure what to do? It looks like some should be laying soon they have big red combs and waddles..

So is it ok to eat eggs from hens that have been eating medicated chick feed by purina? My town doesn't have grower feed available.. so my 19 week olds have had chick starter this whole time. Should I switch them to laying feed or mix laying feed with he rest of the chick starter that I have? Not sure what to do? It looks like some should be laying soon they have big red combs and waddles..
Read the second post on this thread for the answer.

Just offer some oyster shells on the side until you get layer feed.

or

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

I have hens, a rooster, and now baby chicks from our little flock. I have been separating mamas and babies for the first two weeks, but now I want them to mingle with the whole flock, so i was wondering about the feed. I am going with medicated chick started for all, and we will eat the eggs. :) But I think i might switch to grower or something everyone can eat next time I buy. wanted to chime in to keep the thread alive.

I have read medicated feed with Amprolium has no benefit for the chicks after 10 weeks of age and the eggs from the layers are safe to eat. Provide Oyster shell or crushed limestone in a separate container for the layers if they will be fed an All-Flock or an unmedicated Start & Grow. Make sure the Grower is at least 16% protein. I like 18% for all ages. But I recently purchased my first 16% layers pellets, because it was 4 weeks fresher than my regular 18%. I have yet to open it. My girls are 13 months. I will be watching them closely and transition them over a 2 week period. GC

I just found this thread. I have my entire flock on Hubbard Poultry Developer right now and I just noticed the last bag I gave them had a MEDICATED label attached. It looks exactly like all of the others except the label is light red instead of white, so it was very easy to miss. I know the dealer wasn't aware either. I have reached out to Hubbard to see if I need to be concerned as I can't see what active ingredients are being used to medicate it. Still, it has caused me some stress and I just noticed it and want to make sure that I don't have to get rid of a lot of eggs (30 to 40 daily) until the hens get it out of their system.

I just found this thread. I have my entire flock on Hubbard Poultry Developer right now and I just noticed the last bag I gave them had a MEDICATED label attached. It looks exactly like all of the others except the label is light red instead of white, so it was very easy to miss. I know the dealer wasn't aware either. I have reached out to Hubbard to see if I need to be concerned as I can't see what active ingredients are being used to medicate it. Still, it has caused me some stress and I just noticed it and want to make sure that I don't have to get rid of a lot of eggs (30 to 40 daily) until the hens get it out of their system.
'Medication' ingredient should be listed on the label sewn into the bottom of the bag....ya gotta read the fine print ;)

"it just "kills" me to throw out beautiful fresh eggs,"

Boil them or scramble them and feed back to the birds. It's good for them. it's what they eat when they are still in the shell.

I've been back feeding my excess eggs to my birds for years and it hasn't ever hurt them. If you boil them, you can just mash them up shells and all for laying hens. Just don't feed them raw or runny, your liable to turn your birds into Egg Eaters. Good luck!
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom