Hen attacked by a opossum

Oct 25, 2024
Hello, yesterday a opossum (white-eared opossum) appeared and got one of my hens, I managed to intervene in time, but the problem is a bit ugly, a cut in the area above the kidney and oviduct. (Yesterday) I calmed her down, and sterilized the area as quickly as possible, using alcohol, iodine and ointment.

She's a hen silkie, docille and sometimes kinda dumb, not in a great weight (lighter than i expected)
ruffled feathers, apathy, drowsiness, eating almost nothing by her self and not drinking, i'm feeding her carefully so she doesn't suffocate. Also i think she is too hot than normal (even if she was hatching), beak slightly open
Her poop now is have a plenty of water and less "poop", but it was normal yesterday after that (black because she eated blackberrys)
She appears to be in a stable condition, but yesterday she had air under her skin, in the region of the leg to the gizzard, just air, already resolved.
I can't take it to a vet where I live, so now i am treating most by myself, she is taking meloxicam based on her weight but I suspect infection. (also taking some cold tea and electrolytes/ the tea have some medicinal herbs, i don't know the name in english)

It's rare to have opossum here, and i am really scared to lose her, she is a good hen.

2.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 3.png
    3.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
She probably has infection from a puncture wound. Those are impossible to clean bacteria from as the bacteria is inside the wound. Can you get some amoxicillin? She needs an antibiotic. If she's around two pounds or less, the dose would be 125mg two times a day for ten days.

Where I live, you need a prescription to buy it, unfortunately I don't have either amoxicillin or penicillin at home right now, but I'm talking to some friends, I'm hoping to find it.
She probably has infection from a puncture wound. Those are impossible to clean bacteria from as the bacteria is inside the wound. Can you get some amoxicillin? She needs an antibiotic. If she's around two pounds or less, the dose would be 125mg two times a day for ten days.

Back
Top Bottom