Hen can't stand up

If you're friends with a vet student, or if you're up to mailing her to a lab, you can have a necropsy done if she doesn't pull through -that way you can know for sure what did her in, and if it's preventable you can take measures to protect your other chickens.

Either way, I do hope things go well. It's never easy when a beloved animal is suddenly struck ill. :aww

That's what I'm hoping to do. Whatever it is, we sure don't want the other chickies to get it! And if she doesn't make it, my dd will probably be wanting a replacement before long.

Nature, PLEASE don't "give up on her" just because she's had a stroke.

My first hen, Emma, was "orphaned" as an adult when her keeper, who was in her 90's died.

She was about 3 years old when we took her in, and then she had a stroke.

She did the same thing...would eat and lay, but couldn't walk.

After hours and hours of me working with her and getting her to try to walk, she started being able to with a huge limp.

She never fully recovered (always had the limp and almost useless left leg), but died at a VERY humble 12 years old...yep...that is NOT a misprint...she was 12 years old when she died!

No one believes me until I show pictures of me and Emma, with me being little holding her, then bigger, then bigger, then finally, *I* am an adult in the pictures...haha

Don't give up hope...a stroke doesn't always mean the end, especially for a pet hen, even when others that are "pros" are saying "it's time for the stew pot".

(((HUGS)))
Kristi

ep.gif

Quote:
ep.gif
I wanna see those pics Kristi !

OH, we're not giving up on her. Dh said that when he washed her this morning (since she sits in poo all the time) she was able to stand up briefly, so we're hoping she might pull through yet.

Today she was standing almost every time I looked at her! Still having trouble walking, but she's getting around. It's an amazing improvement. Just a few days ago we were thinking she wasn't going to last much longer, and now she seems to be getting better. I'm almost afraid to tell dd she's getting better, in case she gets worse again, but she can see it for herself.
'[====

Back
Top Bottom