Hen cant walk

Aracoix

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Hi, so this is my second hen now that has shown the following symptoms, which end in death.

they will act tired, lethargic and will keep their head close to their body. Eyes seem droopy but have no problems eating or drinking.

This lasts a few days, then they will get wobbly on their feet, stumbling while walking.

Then usually the last day or two, they’re immobile and I will find them dead in the morning.

the ladies are about 9 months old, came from a hatchery.

anyone have an idea? Whether it’s environmental or something I can’t control/cure. I did give Zyfend A (worm infestations) because it’s the only thing the local feed store had. Didn’t see a change in the birds.
D629958D-0AE6-4623-9FD3-2CD00309208D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 3
we have a chicken that is doing things similar , heres some symptoms for Mariks disease

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: sudden death (fairly common), depression (common), gradual weight loss (fairly common), neck paralysis (not common), paleness (in conjunction with other symtoms), wing paralysis (common), leg paralysis (most common), star-gazing (fairly common), extreme sudden emaciation (rare), mishapen pupil (not common), gray iris (not common), crazy behavior (rare), unresponsive (common), internal tumor growth (not common), tumors on feather follicles (not common), fearful (not common)

All the other chickens are fine. Here’s another photo from a few always ago.

166835B2-18DE-4474-880A-2F6BA26A0B24.jpeg

It’s not the cold. I’ve had chickens for many years, they survive each New England winter without issues from the cold.

the first hen exhibited the same exact symptoms, eventually couldn’t walk anymore and she stayed underneath the coop until death. No snow under the coop and today, the air temp is a comfortable 35.

Any chances it’s something they’re eating? They are free range.

Back
Top Bottom