Hen falling over! Lethargic and can’t keep balance

izzyrose

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2022
Hi, please comment if you have an idea of what could be wrong!

Just this morning I noticed my hen struggling to walk. She is falling over and loosing her balance. I examined her feet which both look healthy and she didn’t seem to have any foot or leg pain as I touched her.
- 2y6m hen
- lives in enclosed run with free range time daily
- she is currently molting
- eats layer feed
- upon examining her crop does feel slightly hard and not empty in the morning

I fed her a scrambled egg with Nutridrench solution. Her appetite is good.

Could this be a vitamin deficiency?

Should I separate her?

Thank you so much for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    970.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    481.4 KB · Views: 3
I see what looks like it could be a foot injury in this picture, but I do not think that would cause the falling over to this degree.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 2
If her crop was not empty in the morning she may not be actually digesting any food she is eating. I would bring her inside where you can closely watch to see if she is pooping normal. Continue to offer feed and make sure she is eating. Does she have a flock? Any bullying? Has she been hiding from others? Balance problems can be a vitamin deficiency which is also why I wonder if she is digesting. Do your birds have grit available?

If her crop was not empty in the morning she may not be actually digesting any food she is eating. I would bring her inside where you can closely watch to see if she is pooping normal. Continue to offer feed and make sure she is eating. Does she have a flock? Any bullying? Has she been hiding from others? Balance problems can be a vitamin deficiency which is also why I wonder if she is digesting. Do your birds have grit available?
Thank you for the response. She has been having poop on the runny/ watery side. She’s in a small flock of 5, no bullying. She’s actually one of the top hens. I do have grit and crushed eggshells available

Back
Top Bottom