Hen with a Limp, Labored Breathing, Drooping Tail, and Fatigue [Update: Worm Found]

I think enough time has passed that you can de worm again.
I use Valbazen directly into the beak of the chicken. Not in their water or food because I want each bird to get the full dose.

I take a piece of white bread (because for some stupid reason they don't like the whole grain I eat) I put the dose of Valbazen in it and offer it to them. They will eat it out of my hand. Then 10 days later they get another dose. Easy Peasy
Thank you so much! It helps so much to know it's okay to give her it so soon after the first time. We gave her the dose for today by syringe. If I ever have too much difficulty with the syringe I'll be sure to keep in mind that bread works for you! ๐Ÿ’•

I hope your flock will be okay with the deworm again. They certainly do seem to need it. Iโ€™ve never had to deworm my flock, Iโ€™m sorry, Tiffany, I wish I could give you some advice. What I can say is I know that you two are very prepared and have great knowledge going into this with your last experience in mind.
You are so sweet, Alina! You truly come to our rescue for support and help when we need it! Thank you a thousand times over!๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ’• I'm so glad Brynn is not worse. She's doing really well considering all she's going through. I think she really likes staying inside with us.๐Ÿ˜‚
I'm hoping it will go smoother this time deworming!

How is your hen? Has she recovered?
Hello! Thank you so much for asking! I meant to update, but we ended up being very busy.

Brynn spent several nights inside. She's such a sweetheart and was very well behaved. She continued to get better each day, and even started to grow feathers back on her bottom!

I found over 10 worms in her droppings after we dewormed her. Tomorrow is the tenth day since the first dose so she will need her final dose.

Her crop started to empty and fill. Her limp has progressively gone away as well.

She got to go back out with the other chickens last Saturday! Each night she likes to come inside and sit on my lap for an hour or two before bed. ๐Ÿ˜Š
1000029398.jpg

1000029833.jpg

1000029893.jpg

Hello! Thank you so much for asking! I meant to update, but we ended up being very busy.

Brynn spent several nights inside. She's such a sweetheart and was very well behaved. She continued to get better each day, and even started to grow feathers back on her bottom!

I found over 10 worms in her droppings after we dewormed her. Tomorrow is the tenth day since the first dose so she will need her final dose.

Her crop started to empty and fill. Her limp has progressively gone away as well.

She got to go back out with the other chickens last Saturday! Each night she likes to come inside and sit on my lap for an hour or two before bed. ๐Ÿ˜Š
View attachment 3927637
View attachment 3927635
View attachment 3927634
What a sweetheart! Interesting what physical effects can manifest from a heavy worm load. Great job with her! She sounds like such a sweet hen ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited:

View attachment 3927637
View attachment 3927635
View attachment 3927634
Iโ€™m so glad she got better! She is such a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom