Hens losing back feathers and death follows! Help please.

BYC AR

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
My 1 year old hens have been losing back feathers, neck feathers, and belly feathers. We found one dead this morning when we opened up the coop. I treated for mites last week using elector psp. Even though I cannot see any mites. The feathers are all very scraggly. It’s not a molt. We do not have a rooster. The older hens do not seem to be affected. The poop looks normal. Eggs are being laid. They are fed a scratch and peck layer feed, have access to alfalfa, get grubs and soaked wheat, oats,field peas, corn, quinoa, boss, flax, sesame seeds as a treat. And clean water sometimes twice a day.

They look awful. And 3 have died so far. The other two were about 7 weeks ago.
I don’t want to lose any more. I am thinking of treating with Corrid. I am at a loss what could be causing this issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6055.jpeg
    IMG_6055.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6054.jpeg
    IMG_6054.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 20
Sorry for your loss. How old are all of the chickens? Chickens only require a balanced chicken feed—chick starter, layer, or all flock feed depending on age and if they are laying. All of those extras can dilute the protein, vitamins, or minerals. A small treat now and then is okay, but I use scrambled eggs mainly. I have tried a scratch and peck type feed, and the chickens can pick out the parts they find most attractive which again can cause a nutritional problem. Those feeds have additives to balance vitamin and minerals, and may be powdery and just not get eaten. I prefer a crumble or pellet feed that is the same in every bite. Sometimes a little can be mixed with water for some variety, and it is a good way to get rid of the powdery parts that settle out.

Your older hens may be keeping the younger ones from food and water, and picking their feathers. Feather picking may be due to boredom, not getting out to explore, not enough protein or other deficiency, too much light around the nest boxes, and some breeds can be more aggressive. I hope that you can figure it out.

Chickens normally molt the first time around 16 to 18 months of age, and yearly thereafter. Stress, such as being kept from food or water can also stimulate a molt.

Thank you for your reply. The mostly get only the scratch and peck 16% soy free layer pellets. And the soaked grains a couple times a week. The grubs are to up the protein since the feed is only 16% and they are loosing feathers. The 7yo older hens, there are only 4, one is disabled. They pretty much ignore the 1 year olds. Snobs. I have watched. They all eat and drink. I go through a lot of food.

I thought for sure they had mites and I just could not see them. I also can’t see any nits. But I treated anyways because rusty looked so bad. It didn’t help her but I’d love to save the rest.

It is 100% not molting.

Sorry for your loss. If you wind up losing anyone else I'd refrigerate the bird (do not freeze) and contact your state's poultry extension to arrange for a necropsy. I'd also stick some doublesided tape underneath the roosts in case it's mites 'cause that's where they tend to hide. I have no idea what it is otherwise though

If they had mites you would see evidence on the hens and inside the coop, plus they would be getting on you if you handle them. We get a lot of posts about scratch and peck feeds and chickens with feather or nutritional problems. I would switch to a 20% Flock Raiser type feed plus have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container. Or use a major brand 16% layer feed pellet. Egg or a can of rinsed tuna with work as a good high protein treat. After trying scratch and peck feed, I wouldn’t use it again. Where are you located, Arkansas? If you lose a chicken, it is worth it to have your state vet do a necropsy and look for a cause. Once a patch of feathers are missing, sometimes they will not grow feathers back in until the next molt.

Sorry for your loss. If you wind up losing anyone else I'd refrigerate the bird (do not freeze) and contact your state's poultry extension to arrange for a necropsy. I'd also stick some doublesided tape underneath the roosts in case it's mites 'cause that's where they tend to hide. I have no idea what it is otherwise though
Yes! I am putting tape out there! I need to figure out an answer this might help. Hopefully I won’t lose another. My husband found and buried her before I saw her. I would have thoroughly checked her over before burial. He didn’t. Oh well.

If they had mites you would see evidence on the hens and inside the coop, plus they would be getting on you if you handle them. We get a lot of posts about scratch and peck feeds and chickens with feather or nutritional problems. I would switch to a 20% Flock Raiser type feed plus have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container. Or use a major brand 16% layer feed pellet. Egg or a can of rinsed tuna with work as a good high protein treat. After trying scratch and peck feed, I wouldn’t use it again. Where are you located, Arkansas? If you lose a chicken, it is worth it to have your state vet do a necropsy and look for a cause. Once a patch of feathers are missing, sometimes they will not grow feathers back in until the next molt.
I wish I could find a different soy free layer pellet. I am going to go back to my old feed and mix them til the S&P is gone. I have 4 bags 🤦🏻‍♀​

Back
Top Bottom