Hen's Only Chick Killed---Question

Anon112

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
To make a long story short, I have a hen who hatched an egg. Through me being totally dumb about integrating her and the chick with the rest of the flock, the chick (about 2 weeks old) was killed by another chicken.

The hen was an excellent mother---very protective and nurturing. I feel horrible for the chick and I feel horrible for the hen because she seemed like she was loving motherhood and now that's gone.

My question is: would it be at all likely that she would "adopt" two or three chicks if I were to purchase them for her? My instinct is that the answer is no or that there would be a strong likelihood that she would reject them, but I'd be interested in thoughts. Obviously the longer time goes by, the less "mom-ish" she'll be. Her chick was killed yesterday. I just want to do what is best for her and I'm genuinely just curious. I figure it's probably just best to try again the next time she goes broody, whenever that is.

Thoughts/experiences?

She might. But if shes not wanting to sit on eggs again then probably not. I have a hen raising 13 chicks that are about 3 weeks old and I just moved them back into the main flock a few days ago. They are doing good the other hens don't mess with the chicks. Some are more aggressive to chicks than others I guess.

She probably won't, hens know who their chicks are and will rarely adopt new ones after they leave the nest. I'd just let her be and try again next time she goes broody and proceed a bit more slowly with integration (keep them separate but in full view of the flock) since your flock is more aggressive to chicks than usual

She probably won't, hens know who their chicks are and will rarely adopt new ones after they leave the nest. I'd just let her be and try again next time she goes broody and proceed a bit more slowly with integration (keep them separate but in full view of the flock) since your flock is more aggressive to chicks than usual

Thank you! This was my thought. But I had this idea that someone would say "Why didn't you get her some new chicks?!?!" and I'd feel even more guilty.

I will just let her adapt back into the flock and be much more mindful of the integration process next time. Thank you!

She might. But if shes not wanting to sit on eggs again then probably not. I have a hen raising 13 chicks that are about 3 weeks old and I just moved them back into the main flock a few days ago. They are doing good the other hens don't mess with the chicks. Some are more aggressive to chicks than others I guess.

Thank you for the reply (missed it earlier somehow). I love your username.

Back
Top Bottom