Hens or Roos? about 6 weeks old Speckled Sussex

Too early to tell! Some SS pullets have good-sized combs. The difference is in the growth and reddening, neither of which has started. In a few weeks, it will either be obviously male or you'll still be worrying because the white-skinned breeds tend to look a bit pink in the comb. Even the pullets. FWIW, body shape and stance meant more when I was worried by my SS.

So whats the difference in body shape and stance?

Females stand more horizontal and have a rounder shape, males are more vertical and lanky. It's harder to see if you only have the one. The truth is that this breed is SO tricky to sex prior to sexual maturity that anything right now would be a flat-out guess.

Agree about the comb and wattles, looks like he's already starting to redden up.

(And as a side note, the roos who I were very affectionate to as chicks grew up to think that I was their friend and that I was on their level... at about 4 months old they started trying to dance for me and, when that didn't work, to come at me. They never got to the point of attack, since if I charged at them they'd run away. Still, they were a little too friendly with me for my liking. The boys who I wasn't affectionate with ended up being a lot more level-headed and pretty much ignored me except when I had treats that they could share.)

*Edited for terrible spelling
I have learned that my roosters that were coddled were the ones that later attacked... they had lost fear of humans, decided they were above human reproach and then the flock leaders, against humans. The ignored boys behaved as I expected them to. Works for me. :)

What about this one 🤔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407_130504_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230407_130504_Gallery.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom