Hey Gang! Whatcha think of my plans and Rooster issue?

i already have 3 blue marans & 3 blue laced wyandottes scheduled to come in October and I would say that is my last but now I need a couple of cream legbar hens and a couple of Swedish Flower Hens....and maybe that is all.

There is a part of me that wants to embark on an attempt to develop a breed of my own. Maybe anbolive egger that breeds true instead being just an Easter Egger mutt, or working with the brown eggers to find the "red" egg gene and develop a breed that lays truly pink or red eggs

I think that would be neat....but I am not well versed in chicken genetics to even begin an attempt at something like that. Where would you start?

Depends on the project. Olive-eggers already exist but are mutts, so it would be a matter of getting a small flock of olive egg laying chickens and breeding them for both best egg color and appearance, until you had a line of birds that all looked alike, and were unique in appearance from any other "official strain. Their are some chickens in the light brown layer category that sometimes lay a pink or rosy egg, but they are rare and usually don't pass the gene on reliably; p;us most breeders consider it a flaw and breed against it. However, if you got a bunch of the pink layers and bred them picking the ones that layed only the pinkest eggs the most frequently you'd eventually isolate the "pink/red" gene and then could start breeding to darken the color, but i don't wanna hijack TS's thread, lol.
lau.gif
So I will just say that any suck project would require YEARS of extreme dedication and laborious amounts of record keeping. And I will probably never get around to accomplishing said goals, lol.

Back
Top Bottom