Hi from Colorado Springs, Colorado

Newchiknmomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
I grew up with chickens in Washington State. Now my hubby and I live in Colorado Springs and nearing our 60s. A couple years ago, we joined Colorado Springs Urban Homesteading and have since learned its legal to have up to ten hens, no roosters, in the city limits, so we have been researching how to manage chickens in an urban backyard.

We are looking at coops. Our local Feed store will have baby chicks the end of March so we are gearing up for that, and joining BackyardChickens just seemed like the next logical step. Looking forward to sharing and growing here along with everyone else. :)

Welcome to BYC.

It's nice that chickens are legal where you live. My suburban flock is in stealth mode but they are thriving in my backyard.
I converted part of my garage into a coop so as not to advertise the presence of my small flock of 6.

Good luck with your birds. You'll find lots of information here.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi RaZ, Woohoo! for stepping out undercover. Neighbors make all the difference and I hope yours are hospitable or oblivious. There is nothing nicer than clucking over eggs. Having grown up with the sound, it seems much better than road noise.

Hi ghillie, You have a nice assortment of birds. What breeds are best for our cold mountain climate? I think we are at 6700 feet here. We want laying chickens who can handle the cold in an uninsulated coop with maybe a heat lamp as I have been reading about. What I have heard is you raise the chicks inside for about six weeks, then transfer them to the coop so they can get comfortable with the nesting boxes.

Hi DDNONIN2016, My hubby lived in Columbus for awhile before we met. He said it rains a lot and its very flat.

Hi 1Muttsfan, Hows the gardening in Northern Michigan? I had a dachsy growing up and loved him to pieces. Both my hubby and I love cats. We have one 2 year old black fixed male angora long haired kitty. He sort of rules the roost right now, so we are wondering how he will handle brooding babies. We plan on watching him and keeping them separate at night. I'm sure this will be interesting. I think we are going to start with five baby chicks, and see how it goes. Its a small yard.

Hi MsDeb. Yep, you got that right about cats. Ours is sure he is the King around here.

Hi Kevin565, How's the weather in Waco?

Back
Top Bottom