Homemade incubator question

kbbeale

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Adkins, Tx
Looking over the MissPrissy incubator instructions and I'm wondering where to get the styrofoam container that is used to ship frozen stuff. I like that style much better than the type of styrofoam ice chest you can buy in the fishing section at wal mart, etc etc.

Anyone know where to get that style of styrofoam container? Thanks

my first bator i made from a big tote that you store stuff in and lined the outside with styafoam and did the rest like miss prissy did hers. used shipping styfoam about 1 inch thick just so it would hold heat better.

I just built mine and used insulation foam from lowesit aint pretty but its holding temp wise I jsut couldnt find the fish shipper which was what I wanted... I have some eggs from a friend and 1 quail that I wanna set!!! MAN Iam already adicted and I have only had my quail 1 day!!!

I don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see much benefit of building one. What do you save? 20 bawks? How many hatching eggs equals 20 bawks, a dozen without shipping? I just think it's funny that people are more than happy to throw down cash for some really choice eggs and then skimp on an incubator that if used properly and taken care of will last for hundreds of hatches and would pay for itself by additional chick production. A nice little giant is ready to go and is available at any TSC or local feed mill for about 42 bawks, then when you have more cash you can upgrade it to a turner and a fan or a sportsman.

Building your own just sounds like a lot of wasted effort, frustrating hatches, dead eggs, poor poor poor dead baby chicks and a ton of unneeded disappointment to me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Buying one doesn't guarantee that the hatches will be any better.
Plus the thrill of accomplishing something worthwhile is a challenge that most of us can't pass up. Isn't that why we hatch eggs in the first place? We worry over each hatch. Keep meticulous records and try different ways improving the next one. That and they are just so darned CUTE.
love.gif

edited cause I can't spell

Last edited:
I made mine and when the first batch hatched I was very proud of myself, Some times it not a question of money, It is the joy of making it. It was something that my DH and I did and the reward of "pride" is worth more than money....... ok stepping off the soap box now
tongue2.gif

I can't say we saved any phenominal amount, but we sure didn't spend 100 dollars on an LG with fan and turner and our homemade bator has both and is holding steady temps with a wafer thermostat. We have quite a sense of accomplishment and like others are keeping meticulous records. And get this...we won't even get to keep the chicks (dreaded HOA) but are doing it for a homeschool project and are loving every bit of it.

If I were going commercial, I would save up for a Sportsman, but since I am not, this one suits me fine.

Back
Top Bottom