Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
That's a great idea, thanks! I always used the packets of starter and then use the leftover yogurt to start the next batch but by the fourth batch it starts to get a little runny so I have to use another packet. If I freeze some starter yogurt each time I can do away with the packets altogether!

Quote:
Have you ever read a yogurt label?

Well, for me anyway, it's not just the label though that's certainly part of it. But I have LOTS of kids. Yeah, you can recycle those yogurt containers but c'mon that many of them? Who can use that many? They won't ever decompose in the landfill. Then there's the cost. I can make my yogurt, fresh and wholesome with no weird preservatives or colors for a lot less than I can buy it and if I had a goat or cow I could make it for even less. And lastly, it's EASY to make. This isn't brain surgery here. I save a little money on gas, save money on the product, save a little space in a landfill and save my kids from just a tiny bit of chemicals and it costs me about 10 minutes of my time.

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

The plastic was a huge part of the issue for me as well. We were eating at least 14 yogurts a week. That's 730 little plastic containers a year! I can whip up three large (recycled!) pickle sized jars of yogurt in 25 minutes and I guarantee that it's not costing me $300+ a year to do it, either.

The best part? Hubby won't touch the store stuff any longer. We can all taste the difference. Eat homemade for a while. When you try the store stuff again, you can actually taste the chemicals. Yuck!

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

The plastic was a huge part of the issue for me as well. We were eating at least 14 yogurts a week. That's 730 little plastic containers a year! I can whip up three large (recycled!) pickle sized jars of yogurt in 25 minutes and I guarantee that it's not costing me $300+ a year to do it, either.

The best part? Hubby won't touch the store stuff any longer. We can all taste the difference. Eat homemade for a while. When you try the store stuff again, you can actually taste the chemicals. Yuck!

I will now be making my own yogurt because we eat about 49 yogurts a week. After paying $259 for a weeks worth of groceries last night I decided I have to do something. We will be spending less than $16 a wek to make organic yogurt vs. $25 - $30 to buy non organic yogurt that's loaded with junk and we won't be throwing away 2352 plastic containers this year.

Can a person who doesn't understand the difference between store yogurt and homemade yogurt appreciate the difference between home grown eggs and store eggs?
hide.gif

Quote:
FOund the directions online and am making that this weekend! I'm a crock-pot-a-holic, lol. I LOVE my crock pot so anytime I see something unique to try, it gets me all excited. I'll PM you with the results!
fl.gif

When I worked I had three crock pots. At the end of a busy day I never wanted to wash dishes so I would leave them for the morning. I could stats a new recipe in a clean crock pot while I was washing dishes and cleaning house and then head out the door with no worries. if I didn't get the dishes done before leaving I always had a clean backup for the next day.

Quote:
When you get a "Rubbery Batch" you can press it into the bottom of a baking pan or cookie sheet and let it cool. Then you can cut it into cheese sticks for the kids.

Quote:
2352 plastic containers??? Egads! This really is so easy and the difference is amazing.

I gave this recipe to a guy from church who has adapted it for frozen yogurt. He's promised the recipe to me so I'll have to remind him to bring it. He says it's wonderful.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom