Horsehair baskets

SharW75

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
Ohio
I've been posting pictures of my horsehair baskets in the handcrafted thread from time to time, but thought I'd start my own. Hopefully no one minds. :)

I've been making horsehair jewelry and other keepsakes for about 15 years now, and just within the last year, ventured into making coiled horsehair baskets. I'm absolutely obsessed. It's so relaxing, and I love matching the neutral tones of hair to bright bases, threads, stones, or feathers. Here are some of the ones I've made. I love to make these, and I'm pretty proud of how I've progressed. :)

basket4.jpg

basket26.jpg

basket30.jpg

basket53.jpg

basket79.jpg

basket82.jpg

basket81.jpg

basket38.JPG

basket75.jpg

Editing to add: Most of the ceramic bases I use are hand made by several Etsy sellers. Most of them are one of a kind, so no two of my baskets are ever alike!

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, I have my own horses, and I'm also blessed to have lots of family and friends who are willing to let me "borrow" some of their horses' tail hair. I never buy bulk horsehair online--I don't know where it came from, and don't know how it was obtained.

Thank you all! :)

Here are a couple more I've finished up lately. I have a craft show coming up so I'm trying to bulk up my inventory. :)

This first one is an odd shape, which makes it hard to photograph. The bottom is bigger around than the top.
basket84.jpg

The inside:
basket85.jpg

The other one is a very irregular shape, but I love the way it turned out.

basket87.jpg

basket88.jpg

Back
Top Bottom