Does anyone feed their horses treats? If you do what do you give them and why?
I do, I try not to give them too often because they are older and the mini, they are so hard to keep in shape, but I give apples, carrots, watermelon, apple wafer treats I buy, various different treats I buy, and sometimes for a special treat peppermint candy

Does anyone feed their horses treats? If you do what do you give them and why?
For me it is situational. I think giving treats as your sole motivator and your only means of positive reinforcement is a big no. Thats how you end up with a horse that mugs you for treats and I have been bit in the hip/butt too many times by someone’s horse who thinks everyone’s pockets contain treats. However, I do use them at the end of a good training session or for the initial motivator for certain trick training. For the actual treat I do not feed any of my horses anything high sugar or starch so I use Timothy hay pellets.

And hey, that is true! Nothing wrong with going back to school, just right now, I really don't want to lol. I would love a chance to train and work with some horses and maybe explore different options in the horse world.

My trainer herself has mentioned to me that she hasn't always been in the horse business, so that's definitely an option to do something else for a while. She grew up with horses and that work, got married and got a different job, and then her daughter got her back into it, and their business was created from that. Right now, for me, I am about to start teaching this year's summer camp and stay with my barn. After that, who knows where I'll go! But I know I'll always be doing something with horses. :)
LOL, when I graduated college I would have had better career opportunities if I'd decided to continue and get a Master's, but I was so utterly sick of school, there was no way!

Your trainer's career trajectory sounds similar to mine, working student and barn manager positions in my early 20's to early 30's. Except I've stuck with my non-horse career longer - and I'm so looking forward to the next few years until I can afford to retire, and then I plan go back to horse jobs part-time, if some barn will put up with me, LOL. Not taking away riding and showing opportunities from younger horse people, since I'll be collecting social security and will be happy cleaning stalls, feeding and turnout, but if I get the opportunity to teach a bit that will make me happy.

Back
Top Bottom