Hot weather Coop design - Is this enough ventilation?

Melko

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
Hi, newcomer to the forums. Read a lot but never posted!
Preface: I live in a very hot climate, it's winter now and it's ~25C. Midday summer (especially July-August) it easily goes up to 45C. I intend to keep 10 chickens in this coop, and will build an attached run for it after I finish setting the coop up.
I've designed and redesigned this coop many times over, taking in feedback from other forums and woodworkers I know and based on what I read from these forums.
1672840460786.png

All of the open panels will have 1" hardware cloth with 80% shade cloth covering them, except the front-most panel which will just be shade cloth with a flap for the hens to exit from (It's facing the inside of what will be the run).
I also took some advice and moved the nest boxes into the coop to stop them getting too hot (If it looks odd as one big piece it's because I didn't bother modeling the dividers and other stuff I'd make from scrap wood)

I'm not too sure about the roof, I decided I'd use a Heavy Duty tarp attached to the top posts since we really only deal with rain 4-5x a year and because I just don't have the tools to handle corrugate or galvanized roofing.
1672840891323.png

Here's a pic of the back with the roof and the 2 cloth layers vaguely drawn on. Maybe it'd be smart to block off the triangular bits at the top with the tarp too? (it's not part of the ventilation area I calculated below, so it's not a loss really)

All in all, it's ~44 sqft of ventilation, which may or not be overkill.
Would love some feedback and thoughts on this design.

For 10 full grown chickens, I'm not sure if it would be enough room inside, I'm sure it could work though if it's not something they'll be in for a while. Hardware cloth is great for ventilation and the shade cloth would help with keeping sunlight out. For the roof, would you be able to make it metal sheets instead? A tarp also works but can sometimes hold water and break, especially if not tied down properly. It is a good amount of ventilation, I think. If they're able to get shade and plenty of cooled water, they should be fine. Using metal helps with keeping water cold, make sure it's not in the sun, though.

For 10 full grown chickens, I'm not sure if it would be enough room inside, I'm sure it could work though if it's not something they'll be in for a while. Hardware cloth is great for ventilation and the shade cloth would help with keeping sunlight out. For the roof, would you be able to make it metal sheets instead? A tarp also works but can sometimes hold water and break, especially if not tied down properly. It is a good amount of ventilation, I think. If they're able to get shade and plenty of cooled water, they should be fine. Using metal helps with keeping water cold, make sure it's not in the sun, though.
I thought the common wisdom was 4sqft in the coop, 10 in the run per chicken? At 8'x6' that's 48sqft (give or take a few inches, the nest box). I suppose with the hot weather it might get cramped in there?
Either way I'm only getting 5 + a rooster to start and plan on letting them multiply. If there's too much fighting or it gets too cramped in there I'm not against putting some meat on the table...

Yeah, that's definitely a worry I have about the tarp. I'd like the metal roofing but it's too difficult to source right now, and a bit much to handle with my limited setup. Still, it genuinely rains like a half dozen times a year here, I'm hoping it'll hold until I can budget out the corrugate.

Do you worry about those metal waterers rusting? I remember those ones that look like an upside down bucket with a rim would get real nasty after a bit.
Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

I thought the common wisdom was 4sqft in the coop, 10 in the run per chicken?
It's commonly cited, but often more space is needed, or at least preferred.
In most cases it's a bare minimum, better to start with more space than try to add it later.
More space gives you, and the birds, more options.
More space makes adding more birds much easier.

I live in a very hot climate
You may need shade set above the coop rather than right on it.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1672868398758.png

Melko, they need more space!
The coop itself may be okay for roosting and laying, but they need a nice big run in addition to the coop. They will need the airflow around them. And a dust bath area.

For hot climates (I am in southern Australia, officially 'temperate', but it can reach 40°C+ ), shade cloth over your coop and run is recommended. Shade cloth works best at 1-1.5 metres over the roof or area, not directly against the roof. I have added a 90% shade cloth to the run next to the (metal) shed, and it has made a huge difference in keeping their shed cool, as that wall was getting all the mid day sun.

Also, get heat tolerant breeds.

Welcome to BYC. As @aart suggests, adding your general location to your profile helps us give you better advice.

For example, if would help us understand your predator load and the potential risks inherent to a tarp roof.

To start off, here is my article on hot climate chicken-keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

And my coop ventilation article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

I'm not too sure about the roof, I decided I'd use a Heavy Duty tarp attached to the top posts since we really only deal with rain 4-5x a year and because I just don't have the tools to handle corrugate or galvanized roofing.

Will this be inside a fully-predator-proofed run with protection against aerial and climbing predators? If not, you will at least need wire under your tarp.

I didn't put wire under the tarp on Camp Cockerel ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/camp-cockerel.77789/ ), because that's not a *real* coop, but just a holding facility for low-value cull birds. But I know in advance that I'm leaving those boys at risk from both raccoons and owls.

I don't know what's available in your area, but I found that metal roofing was remarkably easy to handle using a cordless impact driver and self-tapping screws. The trick is to design what you're making around the dimensions the roofing comes in so that you don't have to make any cuts.

Shade cloth works best at 1-1.5 metres over the roof or area, not directly against the roof. I have added a 90% shade cloth to the run next to the (metal) shed, and it has made a huge difference in keeping their shed cool, as that wall was getting all the mid day sun.

I agree that shade is incredibly valuable. If I can't put my coops into the shade then I need at least 2-3 times the usual recommendation for ventilation just to keep the coop under 100F (38C), on a 90F (32C), day.

If you don't have natural shade for the coop you might consider arranging that shade cloth as a canopy rather than as part of the coop itself -- like I did with some cheap picnic pavilions.

cover-image
0121211125-jpg.2497653

Do you worry about those metal waterers rusting? I remember those ones that look like an upside down bucket with a rim would get real nasty after a bit

I've been using the same metal feeders and wagerers for about 20 years, no rust

I'll bet the 20yo waterer was much better made than many of the current ones. I won't use galvanized waterers because we have acidic water and they rust out in a couple years.

I completely agree with the above post.

They need these things when it gets hot:

-Shade
-Ventilation; (all openings covered with 1in wire) open to south; large windows to all sides but with option of closing off north and east in cold weather, roof line ventilation all the way around, always open.
-Shade
-Plenty of water
-SHADE.

Shade in coop, shade the coop itself, shade in the run, shade everywhere possible.

Some will stand in shallow water like if you had a kiddie pool with the sides cut down to around 3 inches. Nice place to stand and cool off provided its in shade all day.

Cover that roof with either metal roofing or plywood sheathing and metal roofing.

During a record heat wave and drought in Houston 2012 (up to 119 degrees with no rain for 5 months) mine did ok but hundreds and hundreds of chickens died during that spell that were kept in more traditional housing.

I was lucky as I had a large run with access to a big oak tree.

Lost a lot of roses and some small trees, not to mention most of the grass but I still kept a few things, that oak included, watered enough to save them so that explains the grass. Most of my 1/4 acre yard was dried up.

I now live in NC and while it doesn't get as hot or humid here, its still plenty warm and I'll be applying same principles to my new coop.

Update!
I finished the wooden frame
IMG_20230115_103857.jpg

Excuse the slightly skewed image

Found a new, shady location for the coop. The wall, shade from the neighbor's house, and tree make a beautiful spot for it.
Had to make some changes to the design here and there but it's mostly the same, pretty excited to finally see it coming together.

Regarding the roofing issue, I reached out to a bunch of suppliers including ones a relative of mine who's an architect referred me to... And the cost is just prohibitively expensive to get it sourced and cut. For reference it would cost twice as much as the entire rest of the coop and run (wood, HC cloth, shade cloth, and all the hardware) no joke.
I figured I could just use some plywood, paint it and hope it hold. As it stands it's not gonna see much wind rain with all the cover anyway.

Thanks for all the advice in the thread, I really appreciate it. I'll be posting more updates in this thread as the build progresses too

Back
Top Bottom