How are you preventing Avian Flu in your flock?

Pics
Where did you get 100 days from? How does it relate to getting to a healthy flock?

Since you can't hear my tone. I'm not challenging you. I'm trying to figure out how much risk to take.
No offense taken. Somebody said that earlier in this thread. I don't really know, I'm just hearing about this.

I am worried about my chickens, but moreso about my parrots and finches. I'm almost considering selling off my chickens to keep my parrots safe. I have invested thousands in my parrots and it would be devastating to have them seized and euthanized because my chickens contracted it.
I will be taking care to ensure that shoes are not swapped between my coop and other areas.

I'm almost considering selling off my chickens to keep my parrots safe. I have invested thousands in my parrots and it would be devastating to have them seized and euthanized because my chickens contracted it.

If you are in an area of significant danger that could indeed be a wise course of action.

It would be sad for you to have to make the choice, but it may be wise. :(

If you are in an area of significant danger that could indeed be a wise course of action.

It would be sad for you to have to make the choice, but it may be wise. :(
I'm torn as I have some valuable breeding stock in my pens and had just started making progress with my chosen variety. I will be keeping an eye on the situation to see how it pans out.

I am worried about my chickens, but moreso about my parrots and finches. I'm almost considering selling off my chickens to keep my parrots safe. I have invested thousands in my parrots and it would be devastating to have them seized and euthanized because my chickens contracted it.
I will be taking care to ensure that shoes are not swapped between my coop and other areas.
Yeah, I'd be freaking out right there on the coast with a bunch of expensive parrots. If you do not get rid of the chickens then at least make a biosecurity plan showing two levels of protection..... in writing with all the particulars and pictures. Partition them off so it's like two different operations that cannot interact. The parrots with security level one and the chickens over there at security level two. It will be of practical use and might save you if it ever becomes an issue with the agencies. Ya never know how stuff like this can play out.

In several of the webinars I've attended, they have talked about the virus remaining active and transmissible in feces for more than three months. Is that where the 100-day thing originates?

If they come for my four spoiled chickens, I don’t have chickens. Screw the govt. If we’ve learned anything, two weeks to flatten the curve, is bs. I’m on the west coast, off grid in very, very rural area on a mountain. They can live in the garage if they have to. My chickens aren’t sick. These fascists aren’t getting them.
I sound like a crazy person. I mean that California is making it harder to be self sufficient at all. They just banned chickens from many towns that were small farming communities before. But they’re trying to appease the new ppl who have moved there and are now on councils. People from the cities move out to the country because they cannot afford to live where they work, they hate the country life so they try to change it into the city. Starbucks on every corner, We moved an hour outside of a small town (which is another hour from a small city) during Lockdowns and this was the only available space, no one would even meet with us. There was nothing in the stores but thank goodness for stored food. We bought chickens and now have a great source of protein that will almost always be there. In most towns/cities in CA you cannot even save rain water to water your garden, or yourself. WHEN it rains. You have to let it fall to the earth. You can buy it back from the govt though, for a premium. Out here we have well water though.

If you don’t live in CA but you’ve heard the stories, it’s true. Poop on the streets, hypodermics on the beach, high taxes, forced vaccination / masking to work anywhere or go in restaurants or gyms in many cities. But you’d better not have a chicken in “city” limits! Unless it’s an emotional support chicken. Which all of my girls are lol

Back
Top Bottom